Dutch Bantams Breed Thread

Pics
My femal is a Dutch bantam I've had her for two years now got her as a baby from a breeder. She had bonded with one other chick which turned out to be a roo. A few months ago we were hit by a fox and I lost every one including her roo but she survived. A girlfriend had gotten Mille flurs a couple years ago from a breeder as well. Ended up with two roosters and as they do one was picking on the other so when I had just the one hen left she offered so he could get away from being bullied and my hen wouldn't have to be alone. They hit it off and thus I have 7 baby bantam Millie flur dutches. So what would that make her? In your answer you were talking about different breeding being good or bad parents I'm not sure if this explanation helps

Basicly I wanna do what's best for momma and babies. She's been through enough trauma loosing her entire family

I suppose you could leave the chicks with the mother, but be sure to keep a sharp eye on her to make sure she isn't leaving them alone, and does teach them to eat and drink properly.

Good luck with them!

We got a Dutch Bantam at a chicken swap (8 week pullet- she is very sweet, but I had no idea what breed she was when I got her- the owner had to sell her chicks because she got caught by her HOA and my daughter just had to have the little black and brown one). I live in Denver (mostly above freezing except for a few nights a year) and our coop is mostly insulated (there is a window for ventilation) and the run has a roof but is only hardware wire on the sides. Any suggestions for keeping my sweet little girl warm enough in the winter? We are a little too attached to her now to send her away. There is no electricity running to the coop and my husband is terrified of heaters out there due to the fire risk. Any suggestions would help- thanks!

I know you guys frown on hatchery Dutch, but I have to share a picture of my little girl Peanutbutter. I'm pretty impressed by the egg she lays even though she can't weigh more than a pound. Do Dutch (and mongrel Dutch
tongue.png
) usually have such delightful personalities? Peanutbutter is super nice, but has a thing for digging and re-arranging everyone's eggs. And she's always talking to herself, a soft tweeting, which I assume would be a clucking if she was bigger.

Last edited:
I know you guys frown on hatchery Dutch, but I have to share a picture of my little girl Peanutbutter. I'm pretty impressed by the egg she lays even though she can't weigh more than a pound. Do Dutch (and mongrel Dutch :p ) usually have such delightful personalities? Peanutbutter is super nice, but has a thing for digging and re-arranging everyone's eggs. And she's always talking to herself, a soft tweeting, which I assume would be a clucking if she was bigger.
My Blue Boy had the best personality too. I lost Jim Tuesday and it just breaks my heart going to the coop and not having him greet me.

Can anybody tell me if these birds are in fact dutch bantams? I got them from a guy thinning his flock. He said they were dutch bantams but I know a lot of people say a lot of things when getting rid of chickens. Any advise as to what color they are, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Yes, those look like Cream Light Brown (CLB) Dutch Bantams. Hard to tell about the quality from your photos though, can you take some more, ideally showing the birds from the side?

Who was the person who was selling them, if I might ask? Did he tell you the bloodlines on them? That's relatively important to know, especially if you want to breed or show them.

Here's a photo of one of my CLBs from back when I was breeding them, so you can compare (I had bloodlines from Ric Ashcraft, Jean Roboker, and LeJean Marshall.)

Thanks! I am going to get some better pics this weekend and I will post them. I also asked the guy where he got them from. He was reducing his flock after doing a bunch of breeding and then selling. He had these left over from a large sale and just wanted to get rid of them. He gave them to us for free!

Back
Top Bottom