Dutch Bantams Breed Thread

Pics
You have truly lovely Dutch. Hard to critique from pictures. They all have very good type and hope you will be hatching some great Dutch with them. One hen, as now older, is not diplaying in her picture, as well as when a pullet.--No matter, it is a picture and so hard to get them in that "show pose" that expresses the best Standard (of Holland) that we are breeding for! EVen full sisters are not twins and will produce different offspring, that may alsp be very good! I like to keep sisters in the same breeding pens.
The cock may not have his former lovely tail at his age, when he is in full feather again, but if he had it prior to several molts--he will pass a fine tail to his sons. And his daughters will be carriers of the lovely tails that they exhibit now! His comb is not perfect, but combs count the least at Shows--and he will produce sons with good combs, especially, if the hens have smal 5 point combs. Doubt judges know about the number of tail feathers--main point is nice wide tail feathers, and carried with nice spread. .....Well done.....

Last edited:
I recently bought a pair of Dutchs from a breeder. The male is a Blue Cream Light Brown and the female is a light brown. What should I get offspring-wise out of these two varieties?

Sorry that you were not sold a PAIR, but TWO Dutch Bantams in varieties that are not compatible for breeding Dutch Bantams.

If the LB is pure for LB, you will get LB and/or BLBs. Offspring will all be carriers of one recessive Cream gene. This means that those offspring are not really acceptable breeders of LBs.OR BCLBs, as THEIR offspring will not be predicable. (And the Cream gene modifies the LB produced, so that hackle color is not standard color, but something between Cream and Gold. Both you and a Judge at a show, may not be sure of the variety, especially of the females! On the other hand, since the breeder sold you a mismatched twosome, his/her birds may already be mixed. If the LB pullet is not pure for LB, you may get 4 varieties!! LB, BLB, CLB, BCLB--and only if you get a CLB, will that bird be pure for a breeding bird project--but with a.CLB or BCLB mate. (It happens, but is good to know ahead!.)

If you are not a "breeder" wanting show or breeding Dutch, no matter, you will have lovely banties, and aside from "breeder" Dutch, they will be happy bantams. However, if you are planning to breed Dutch for sale, for Show or breeding, you need a BLB male for your LB female, And you need a Cream Light Brown female to go with your BCLB male.

The Dutch Bantam Society is revising their website and you will soon find the list of varieties bred in Dutch Bantams, and how they are bred. Hatcheries have made their Dutch a mishmash--nice backyard banties--but mixes of OEGB and other bantams and in varieties those crosses produce, that cannot be bred in "true" Dutch. When the Dutch Bantam Society website is ready, I will post the address..

After all that--enjoy your Bantams! I like them all! (But I would never sell 2 bantam varieties as a breeding pair, that were not acceptable for breeding/show Dutch.) 2 Blue Light Browns are an example--offspring are mostly Splash--no two exactlyl alike-- and a new Dutch owner--expecting all BLB offspring, may think he/she was cheated with crossbred bantams! Good luck.

Sorry that you were not sold a PAIR, but TWO Dutch Bantams in varieties that are not compatible for breeding Dutch Bantams.

If the LB is pure for LB, you will get LB and/or BLBs.  Offspring  will all be carriers of one recessive Cream gene.  This means that those offspring are not really acceptable breeders of LBs.OR BCLBs, as THEIR offspring will not be predicable. (And the Cream gene modifies the LB produced, so that hackle color is not standard color, but something between Cream and Gold.  Both you and a Judge at a show, may not be sure of the variety, especially of the females!   On the other hand, since the breeder sold you a mismatched twosome, his/her birds may already be mixed.   If the LB pullet is not pure for LB, you may get 4 varieties!!   LB, BLB, CLB, BCLB--and only if you get a CLB, will that bird be pure for a breeding bird project--but with a.CLB or BCLB mate.   (It happens, but is good to know ahead!.)

If you are not a "breeder" wanting show or breeding Dutch, no matter, you will have lovely banties, and aside from "breeder" Dutch, they will be happy bantams.   However, if you are planning to breed Dutch for sale, for Show or breeding, you need a BLB male for your LB female,   And you need a Cream Light Brown female to go with your BCLB male.

The Dutch Bantam Society is revising their website and you will soon find the list of varieties bred in Dutch Bantams, and how they are bred.  Hatcheries have made their Dutch a mishmash--nice backyard banties--but mixes of OEGB and other bantams and in varieties those crosses produce, that cannot be bred in "true" Dutch.  When the Dutch Bantam Society website is ready, I will post the address..

After all that--enjoy your  Bantams!    I like them all!  (But I would never sell 2 bantam varieties as  a breeding pair, that were not acceptable for breeding/show Dutch.)     2 Blue Light Browns are an  example--offspring are mostly Splash--no two exactlyl alike-- and a new Dutch owner--expecting all BLB offspring, may think he/she was  cheated with  crossbred bantams!      Good luck.  

Hmm thank you for the information. I'm a bit sad that I don't have a "pair" but they do well together. Eventually I may get a CLB hen and/or LB rooster for them. Wish the breeder would have told me that when I bought them. I honestly think he just wanted to get rid of the female.

[[/B] I would like to know the names and see pictures. It is all confusing to me. I bought 30 Dutch bantams from a nursery and I think everyone is a mix of sorts, but I love them!!!

Here are some pictures of hatchery Mille Fleur Dutch I purchased in March. They are not quite mature yet in their feathering, but are starting to lay eggs. Three hens in this group were purchased from a Dutch Breeder. Hoping they will turn into nice birds when mature.

The Dutch Bantam Society will soon have a new Website, and in the meantime, you can go to www.dutchbantamsociety.net and find pictures of varieties of Dutch. There will be more information about breeding them on the additions to the site. Mille Fleur are not easy to breed for correct and Exhibition Dutch and there has been information about breeding them in the Poultry Press (monthly poultry newspaper). The American Bantam Association has not yet approved them with their Standard color description (which is not the same as the color description the Belgian bantam breeds). Enjoy your bantams--yes they look like crosses and hatchery birds, but are lovely backyard bantams, not true DUTCH. And hope the Breeder sold you good Dutch. If they are not members of the Dutch Bantam Society, they may not have the information to keep them true Dutch--but we do love what we have!

Last edited:
Here are my splash dutch bantam pair hatched in June. I expected blue, splash, and maybe black. Any ideas why the pullet is solid white?

Pullet

Roo.

Why? Well, because they are not Dutch Bantams. They are Splash variety, OEGB or crosses, maybe with a Dutch at sometime?? Maybe not... The colors are not found in DUTCH . The White is because OEGB that produce this Splash color and pattern
(as in OEGB) carry the Dominant White gene--which we do not have in the US in Dutch Bantams. Lovely bantams!-- and will enjoy seeing them pictured when their fully mature plumage is in.

Back
Top Bottom