Dutch, OEGB, or something else?

Fwoof

Crowing
Jun 13, 2022
I've always been questionable about my bantam Winter's breed, but after a while I settled on white Dutch.
I decided to breed her with my OEGB Rooster Rascal (whom I got with Winter and a Marans) last year, and things went poorly. Their chick couldn't stand up for his first 24 hours, and as he got older his crop never filled up no matter how much he ate. This poor little cockerel passed away when he three and a half months old. 😞

Since I thought their last chick just had issues from birth and not genetics, I decided to breed Winter and Rascal again this year. Their two fertile eggs hatched yesterday and they BOTH have wry neck. (I'm treating it, though!)

I'm starting to wonder if this is because Winter is actually an OEGB and her and Rascal are siblings!
I have two questions:
Can two chickens who are siblings breed successfully?
What breed is Winter?
IMG_2029.JPG
IMG_2015.jpg

I think OEGB, since the earlobes are red and not white. She has interesting coloring with the little black spots (unless that is just the photo.)

Two siblings can hatch healthy chicks, but there is a bigger chance of problems, especially if the siblings are inbred themselves.

I think OEGB, since the earlobes are red and not white. She has interesting coloring with the little black spots (unless that is just the photo.)

Two siblings can hatch healthy chicks, but there is a bigger chance of problems, especially if the siblings are inbred themselves.
Ah, I always forget about the earlobes!

And I don't think Rascal is inbred, since he had three perfectly healthy chicks with my Sebright hen and one with my New Hampshire. Maybe it's just Winter who got inbred, because I'm sort of starting to doubt they're siblings because of the coloring. Rascal is a Silver Duckwing, and Winter isn't.
Here are the two of them together...
IMG_2037 (1).JPG

Thank you for helping me out!

Ah, I always forget about the earlobes!

And I don't think Rascal is inbred, since he had three perfectly healthy chicks with my Sebright hen and one with my New Hampshire. Maybe it's just Winter who got inbred, because I'm sort of starting to doubt they're siblings because of the coloring. Rascal is a Silver Duckwing, and Winter isn't.
Here are the two of them together...
View attachment 3497683
Thank you for helping me out!
They aren't likely to be inbred or closely related to each other. You may have just had one sickly chick, and that can be caused by man factors.

If I were to cross a red Pyle and a silver duckwing it might turn out to look like her. Your rooster looks like he might be golden duckwing. That can be made from crossing silver duckwing with black breasted red.

Back
Top Bottom