Dying poults.

kagedgoddess

Songster
10 Years
May 11, 2009
virginia
So i dont know why theyre dying. I had 11 turkeys last week. Now i have 4, but i sold two before they were sick and one was lost to a predator. One turkey is 6 weeks old and i raised her in the house, usually i bring her in everynight. She has been fine. Last night she was still eating when i was putting everyone up, so i left her in the garage loose. Apparently DH thought that wasnt ok and instead of bringing her IN the House, he put her in the brooder with the sick turkeys!!!!!! I found her this morning in there ruffled up, eyes closed just standing there. She didnt come running to me like normal. She didnt eat her food i gave her. Her poo is light brown, very bubbly, but mostly looks fine. Not really loose or anything. But she wasnt peeping. She opens her mouth amd makes a weird cough noise. None of the others do that.
About the other 3. Thy are 3 wks old. Thursday there were 7, one of my kids left the brooder open and they escaped. Well i couldnt find them that night after i put the kids to bed so they stayed out. Friday night i caught them all and put everyone in a cat carrier to take to swap. Sat morning one was dead. I though maybe i injured it by accident. Then at the swap another died. Just started gasping and died within an hour. Ok the others are all still acting Fine. Nothing looks wrong at all. Well i didnt sell any. Sunday i go out to feed them in the am ( i always care for the turkeys first) i have one dead, one dying and the remaining three arnt peeping or anything. Just standing around ruffled up eyes closed. Standing in different spots. No one has died since but they are still just standing there. They seem to be eating a little bit. And i did see one drinking. No one else seems to be sneezing/ coughing but i have seen them stretch their necks out and gasp.
What is going on?

My gosh that sounds terrible!! I can't help other than to say that if you have chickens they can transmit blackhead disease to the poults and this disease is said to lie dormant for up to five years in old chicken feces, coops and runs.

I hope the remaining REMAIN!!

Quote:
c.r.d. cronic respitory desease. get a bottle of tylan 200 injectable. inject 2 cc in the breast. 18 gauge needle. 3 cc is ok to. if you are going to raise turkeys this is a must have in my book. you can either give a shot and them get better or doing nothing and die anyway. i have saved several poults this year and my two year old tom from c.r.d.

Back
Top Bottom