Ear Mite Problem

HoneyMelon

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 6, 2014
Maryland
I believe that my new rabbit has ear mites. I noticed that her ears would sometimes have a bit of pink to them and then when I would check back later they would look normal again. I finally looked inside and saw some crust far down in the canal. Because she is pregnant I do not want to risk doing Ivermectin or Revolution so I just started putting mineral oil in her ears. I have not tried to clean out the crust because it so far down. Some bits of crust are starting to come up and I wipe those away.
So now her ears are 10 times pinker-- wow they look sore. She still lets me put the mineral oil and massage the ear and does not flinch. And I only see her shake and clean them right after I do the treatment. Her her canal looks fine now-- no crust or anything. But I feel like I should do the oil treatment to make sure I really smothered the mites for at least a couple weeks more or am I irritating her ears too much and should I just stop?
They were never that red till I started the mineral oil.
ds

I dunno. When I had just a few rabbits I went to the pet shop and got something for ear mites. It worked on cats and dogs and it worked on the rabbits.

I'd continue rubbing the oil in her ears till all of the gunk comes out. I would not pull it out; just let the oil and your bun work at it herself. When my very first rabbit had a bad case of ear mites and most of the gunk had come out of his ears, we rubbed aloe vera in them to help soothe the ears. Hope that helps! : )

So I have been still doing the mineral oil and the rabbit is miserable. I have some Revolution and have looked up the dosage-- but can I put it on a pregnant doe-- how about a nursing doe? If I cannot put it on a pregnant doe how long do I wait after I apply it can I rebreed her?
Thanks

You can go to any pet supply and find some drops for treating ear mites in dogs and cats. Works fine for rabbits and there is no withdrawal period.

But what about a pregnant doe or a nursing doe? And if I put it on a doe how long till I can rebreed her? Thanks

If you find something that is safe for cats it is probably safe for anything. As for a pregnant doe, you want the ear mites gone before the babies get here so you don't have to treat them too. Ear mites and the treatment for same should not be a factor as far as rebreeding is concerned.

It says that Revolution is safe on pregnant cats-- so I will use it on the doe then. Thank you for making me feel so much better.

I suppose you can use Revolution, but if I were you I would simply get some ear drops. They are very cheap, safe, and effective. You ought to be able to find them at any pet supply.

Back
Top Bottom