Early February 2016 Hatch - Who's In?

4/6 babies hatched yesterday!! Spent 4 hours helping one chick hatch but she made it through and is happy and healthy! I moved her back under my broody who happily accepted her back.

Funny thing is...these chicks are all Jersey Giants...and my broody is a Serama
1f602.png
This should be intresting! The others are under my ecoglow brooder right now!

Sadly, one was infertile and the other one didnt get enough body heat or humitity from my Serama broody. I hatched the 4 survivors in my incubator then switched my one chick under my broody this morning. :)

Help please! Two of my chicks just hatched and have like a red ball protruding from their belly! Not sure what happened or what to do, their both very lively but it concerns me!

Help please! Two of my chicks just hatched and have like a red ball protruding from their belly! Not sure what happened or what to do, their both very lively but it concerns me!

Wish I could help but I don't exactly know. I know sometimes people put iodine on it.

I'm not an expert but sounds like it's their belly button and the yolk sac didn't absorb all the way. Sometimes it take an hour after hatching to do so. However, it does make them susceptible to infection. I recommend going over to the Hatching With Friends thread and posting there for expert advice. Sorry I couldn't be of further help!

Give it a couple hours and keep it in the broader until fully fluffed. In most cases it will be sucked in and close on its own. If you notice that it is not going in after about a day, put some anti-bacterial cream on it and keep the other babies from pecking at that spot.

Back
Top Bottom