Early February 2016 Hatch - Who's In?

I'll join! I'm getting my 1st incubator on Monday from Amazon. I've been collecting eggs from my Exchequer Leghorn, LF Cochin, and ameracanas.

Do either of you know what temp is too cold to collect eggs from? It dropped to 28 degrees this morning and I wonder if cold fertile eggs will hatch?

Dana

Your eggs should be fine. And they can't get much more local then your own back yard
wink.png

This is my second time hatching. I set 48 eggs 3/2014 and had 28 hatch.

24 were local(ish) several hours away but driven home by me (22 made it to lock down -21 hatched)

24 were shipped across the country (11 or 12 made it to lock down -7 hatched)

I am hoping for a better hatch on the shipped eggs this time but I know the odds are not in my favor. I would recommend keeping really detailed notes. I have 5 pages of notes, including diagrams of how I set everything up last time. Not usually that detail orientated in most things but I wanted all those little buggers to have the best chance possible.

I just got back from the store to get another thermometer/humidity monitor because the two i have were reading 4 degrees different ( I replaced batteries and re-calibrated to no avail). Hoping I can get them with 1-2 degrees and then I will work on humidity. I did a "dry" hatch last time (30-39%).

Good luck to us all!

This is my third hatch. My first hatch went badly due to faulty incubator parts. The last one wasn't much better but they were shipped eggs and of 32 eggs, only 11 even developed. 4 hatched of that round mostly due to saddle shaped shells etc and 3 lived. Last round I candled them about ever 5 days so I think that may have caused issues. This time, candle at day 15 to check air sac growth and then before lockdown!

I just got back from the store to get another thermometer/humidity monitor because the two i have were reading 4 degrees different ( I replaced batteries and re-calibrated to no avail). Hoping I can get them with 1-2 degrees and then I will work on humidity. I did a "dry" hatch last time (30-39%).

Good luck to us all!

I am also trying a dry hatch for the first 18 days, between the 30-39% humidity range.

If I may ask, where did you buy your previous shipped eggs from?

I am also trying a dry hatch for the first 18 days, between the 30-39% humidity range.

I am also trying a dry hatch this time around. My air sacs last time were a bit smaller than I wanted because I had some saddled air sacs I was concerned about. I'm hoping with no shipped eggs this time I won't have to worry about that.

BYC members. It's really a gamble because I am way up here in the NW corner of the country and it seems like everyone with the breeds I want are located East of the Mississippi. This time one dozen are from BYC and the other are from Ebay.

The temp held steady all night 98-100 so I am happy with that and will be putting tossing the bad thermometer. Now I will work on humidity and cat proofing the incubator
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom