Early February 2016 Hatch - Who's In?

The temp held steady all night 98-100 so I am happy with that and will be putting tossing the bad thermometer. Now I will work on humidity and cat proofing the incubator :/

Yay for temp regulation!!!! That is always a big issue and stress for me. Man, I don't have any suggestions for cat proofing. Good luck

Where are good places to buy hatching eggs?

I'm just curious cuz it seems like most do that route. I've seen on CL sometimes people sell them but not any breeds I knew much about. But now that I'm getting a bator, I may want to try buying eggs to hatch!

Quote:
It really depends on what breeds you want. I have very limited space and restrictive city ordinances so I am picky ( probably too picky). Add in that I don't want hatchery lines of breeds..... If you check your local breed clubs and 4H groups you may be able to find what you are looking for. If you aren't picky or if you're just beginning with chickens - you should be able to find local barnyard mix eggs quickly & cheaply :)

Just go USPS notice - my Fav eggs are arriving today but my LF BBS Cochin eggs haven't shipped yet. YIKES!
I may have to do a staggered hatch ( and I seemed to lost my emoticons - so picture the "fainting" chicken here). Zonkies

Ok, after several OMG minutes.... and almost an impulsive purchase of another bater.... I will wait for tracking on the cochins and hope for a WED arrival - then all can go in Thurs and still be within a week old.

Last edited:
Good to know about USPS.

I'm loving my "rare breed assortment" of chickens I got from Meyer but I can see where they aren't exactly to breed standard possibly. So it looks like hatching eggs from a reputable breeder is a good way to go for quality/ show chickens?

Can you recommend a breeder or should I just research the Internet for a local breeder?

Quote:
Which breeds are you looking for? For me, I have found that hatchery birds after 2 years old, really start to suffer from reproductive health issues. Especially the hybrids ( red, gold, black sex-links), Barred Rocks, Orpingtons, Austrolops, RIRs. Too much focus on high production and not enough on health ( reminds me a little bit of puppy mills) - my opinion only. If you want alot of eggs and plan on replacing ( or eating) your hens after 18 months or so, then hatchery is fine. Also, I live smack in the middle of town with neighbors and shared fences on all sides. Therefore, quieter and not great flyers work best :) for our set up.

Last edited:
Just go USPS notice - my Fav eggs are arriving today but my LF BBS Cochin eggs haven't shipped yet. YIKES!
I may have to do a staggered hatch ( and I seemed to lost my emoticons - so picture the "fainting" chicken here). Zonkies

Ok, after several OMG minutes.... and almost an impulsive purchase of another bater.... I will wait for tracking on the cochins and hope for a WED arrival - then all can go in Thurs and still be within a week old.

I am in the same predicament as you! I called MPC today to find out if my eggs were sent but they have not been and actually couldn't even give me an estimated ship date, possibly in a month! Ugh. Being an impatient person, I then went and ordered some eggs off eBay. I happened to check my phone a few hours later and had a message that MPC was sending the eggs but possibly getting them sometime next week. Looks like I'm probably doing a staggered hatch as well. I have my own eggs that I've been collecting and I'd like to go ahead and get started on those on Friday. Next week I'll add shipped ones when they come in. I do have my back up incubator which I'll use when I go into lockdown for the first set. I was also tempted to get maybe a larger third incubator but
I'm pretty sure my husband would either kill me or complain! Have you ever done a staggered hatch before? Any advice?

Where are good places to buy hatching eggs?

I'm just curious cuz it seems like most do that route. I've seen on CL sometimes people sell them but not any breeds I knew much about. But now that I'm getting a bator, I may want to try buying eggs to hatch!

What state are you in? I would look on BYC and go into the social area under your individual state and possibly post in there. People have all kinds of recommendations for local breeders. Also on CL , Especially as we get closer to spring you will see more breeds become available. Another way, as you already mentioned, is to do an Internet search on your state and hatching eggs, and many local farms in your area sell eggs that they don't post on craigslist. They may come up in your search results.

Yes, they were outside for a few hours. I did research that even frig eggs have hatched, so I'll remain hopeful.

My incubator is called Magicfly; weird name, but it got good reviews for how affordable it was. Also bought a temp/ hygrometer and even a candler. I'm very excited to try incubating eggs
1f604.png
but also trying to be realistic that it may not work my 1st time.

I was looking into getting a Magicfly myself but I am still unsure. Looking forward to seeing how your hatch goes!

Quote:
Shipping notice on the Ebay eggs - shipped today. Guaranteed by Thursday but it says 2-day - so everyone keep your fingers crossed for Wednesday. I have not done a staggered hatch either. I think since you have separate incubator to hatch in - you will be good!

Back
Top Bottom