Easiest way to water meat birds!

imacowgirl2

Songster
Apr 11, 2022
south central IL
I’m not sure exactly where I saw it here on the forums, but whoever originally posted it has my unending gratitude…posting here in hopes of helping someone else out since we all know meat birds go through a ton more water than layers.

Using a cheap stock tank float and a goat/sheep feed pan has been the EASIEST way to keep my meat birds watered!

It hangs high enough that they don’t really get it dirty (and if they do, it’s super easy to hold the float closed and quickly dump out!) and I’m not dealing with a huge water container taking up valuable space, and they aren’t running out of water and I’m not refilling a waterer multiple times per day.

When they were smaller I was using a ten foot gutter — when they were big enough that I was filling that multiple times per day, I switched over to a metal double walled 8 gallon poultry fount. That worked ok for a couple weeks, but was a pain to get perfectly level and refill every 1-2 days (especially since the seal on mine didn’t close properly). When I started having to refill it multiple times a day last week, I’d had enough. Installed this waterer in about ten mins yesterday morning and the past 24 hours of my life (and these birds’ lives) have been amazing 😆

Mine is currently hooked up to a garden hose, but this weekend’s project is to install the rain barrel outside the coop which will feed this (and prevent some of my yard flooding/mud issues).

9E668B3A-294B-4EDC-96AA-A5519C477B77.jpeg

I’m not sure exactly where I saw it here on the forums, but whoever originally posted it has my unending gratitude…posting here in hopes of helping someone else out since we all know meat birds go through a ton more water than layers.

Using a cheap stock tank float and a goat/sheep feed pan has been the EASIEST way to keep my meat birds watered!

It hangs high enough that they don’t really get it dirty (and if they do, it’s super easy to hold the float closed and quickly dump out!) and I’m not dealing with a huge water container taking up valuable space, and they aren’t running out of water and I’m not refilling a waterer multiple times per day.

When they were smaller I was using a ten foot gutter — when they were big enough that I was filling that multiple times per day, I switched over to a metal double walled 8 gallon poultry fount. That worked ok for a couple weeks, but was a pain to get perfectly level and refill every 1-2 days (especially since the seal on mine didn’t close properly). When I started having to refill it multiple times a day last week, I’d had enough. Installed this waterer in about ten mins yesterday morning and the past 24 hours of my life (and these birds’ lives) have been amazing 😆

Mine is currently hooked up to a garden hose, but this weekend’s project is to install the rain barrel outside the coop which will feed this (and prevent some of my yard flooding/mud issues).

View attachment 3473884
This is awesome! Can you get us a few more close up pictures of the setup, and how you've attached everything? I love this idea!

I've been using 5 gallon horizontal nipple waterers - 2 buckets for my flock of 21 CX birds and refill every other day. I could probably have put a third bucket in there and gained another day between refills. It does take up space sitting on the cinderblocks, and has to be raised as they grow taller so they have to stand and drink (CX like to lay down to do everything). Had one bird fall on her back at 9 wks after trying to drink, and she couldn't get up (I had to help), so this different waterer configuration is of interest to me.

That’s awesome! I would love to see some more pictures! What breed of birds do you do for meat by the way? (I’m just curious cuz im looking for tips and tricks with meats burds for someone)

This is awesome! Can you get us a few more close up pictures of the setup, and how you've attached everything? I love this idea!

I've been using 5 gallon horizontal nipple waterers - 2 buckets for my flock of 21 CX birds and refill every other day. I could probably have put a third bucket in there and gained another day between refills. It does take up space sitting on the cinderblocks, and has to be raised as they grow taller so they have to stand and drink (CX like to lay down to do everything). Had one bird fall on her back at 9 wks after trying to drink, and she couldn't get up (I had to help), so this different waterer configuration is of interest to me.
Yep, I will get more pics when I get home…I use nipples (and love them!!) for my layer flock but I just feel like the meat birds can’t get enough water for their needs from nipples.

Yep, I will get more pics when I get home…I use nipples (and love them!!) for my layer flock but I just feel like the meat birds can’t get enough water for their needs from nipples.
I was not super happy with the nipples myself, but couldn't find a better option that kept the water clean with a minimum of maintenance from me. And after raising a CX flock to butchering age, they did fine with it. I transition them from the hated chick waterer to horizontal nipples at 4 wks.

As promised, more close-up pictures (also, for anyone who might notice, yes the waterer moved locations between today and yesterday — yesterday’s location didn’t have enough gravity fed pressure once I installed the rain barrel last night)…this feeder comes with those clips, so I just clipped it on the wire of the coop. To prevent it from angling too far down for the float, I put a brick under it.

CAA66215-1444-446F-85A9-3F06AD5868A8.jpeg

The float assembly is minimal and easy with the instructions. I used the brackets provided for a metal water tank because the poly water tank brackets are meant to be screwed into the poly.

BD9C3FC6-16D5-412C-9EEF-C53F4489648D.jpeg

Word to the wise, hook the hose up to the float BEFORE you attach the float to the feeder, or you will make things much harder for yourself. Then attach other end of hose to rain barrel or faucet.

AC2A5E9D-0890-4C7C-AF18-10E9AE168E39.jpeg

Picture of whole setup

8B2C616A-D0DD-467C-924E-F6D9AA9BAC6D.jpeg

Sometime when I have more time, I will build a taller stand for the rain barrel and use a short hose, then I can move it closer to the coop and not have the tripping hazard of the hose…but this is what I had to do for now with what I had on hand for enough gravity fed pressure. And not having to water those birds multiple times per day is worth dealing with a tripping hazard, especially since that isn’t a frequently traveled spot.

As promised, more close-up pictures (also, for anyone who might notice, yes the waterer moved locations between today and yesterday — yesterday’s location didn’t have enough gravity fed pressure once I installed the rain barrel last night)…this feeder comes with those clips, so I just clipped it on the wire of the coop. To prevent it from angling too far down for the float, I put a brick under it.

View attachment 3474913

The float assembly is minimal and easy with the instructions. I used the brackets provided for a metal water tank because the poly water tank brackets are meant to be screwed into the poly.

View attachment 3474921

Word to the wise, hook the hose up to the float BEFORE you attach the float to the feeder, or you will make things much harder for yourself. Then attach other end of hose to rain barrel or faucet.

View attachment 3474922

Picture of whole setup

View attachment 3474924

Sometime when I have more time, I will build a taller stand for the rain barrel and use a short hose, then I can move it closer to the coop and not have the tripping hazard of the hose…but this is what I had to do for now with what I had on hand for enough gravity fed pressure. And not having to water those birds multiple times per day is worth dealing with a tripping hazard, especially since that isn’t a frequently traveled spot.
Thank you!!! That is some awesome info! Super helpful. Now I have ideas...

Back
Top Bottom