Easter Egger chick colors?

"New to the multiple breeds of chickens. Red sex link means females are reddish at birth right?"

Correct. And the females feather in red and white. Males feather in solid white, and develop red leakage as they mature.

My young rooster has some pretty red splotches.

Apparently we are seriously late to the party, but we started tracking our 12 Easter Egger chicken colors via YouTube! Only one video update right now: growth & color development/comparison from Day 4 to Day 24, but we're planning on updating again every couple weeks or so! Hopefully this helps someone else a bit... Easter Egger chicken colors are seriously fascinating to me! You can click here to view on YouTube.

Let's connect on Instagram! @oak_abode

Just thought I'd post a little 6-month update. Our Easter Egger colors totally changed, even since the last video was posted. I feel pretty confident in saying now that there is NO way to tell what they'll look like as an adult from chicks! I wonder if there is a totally separate set of genetics that determines their color as babies? Gotta love raising these little guys! Never a dull moment for sure. (You can click here to watch on YouTube.)

They come in all kinds of colors!
Here are our 3 that are 10.5 months old now. We purchased 3 females, but one turned out to be a male. We removed him and sent him to freezer camp around 16 weeks old.
So, 2 were chipmunk color, the other pale with some grey as chicks.
Screen Shot 2019-01-22 at 11.48.03 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-01-22 at 11.48.28 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-01-22 at 11.49.23 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-01-22 at 11.50.00 AM.png

Here is the male. You can see how copper colored his shoulders are. Apparently this often indicates male, when it is prominent. You can wee that the light colored female above also has some copper, but it is much less.
Screen Shot 2019-01-22 at 11.51.10 AM.png

Here he is shortly before culling. He actually was developing what appeared to be a mullet. Complete with very blond feathers down the back of his neck. He was actually fairly unattractive overall, and out neighbor (not one to mince words) told us "Now that is one ugly rooter!" Since we did not want a male EE, and had ordered a female, we culled.
Screen Shot 2019-01-22 at 11.53.50 AM.png

Light female around 3.5 months
Screen Shot 2019-01-22 at 12.04.21 PM.png

Darker female around 3.5 months
Screen Shot 2019-01-22 at 12.05.58 PM.png

I was wondering the same thing about picking out EEs. I think I'll be getting mine on Thursday or Friday- and I'm really hoping that I can select two that are either blue, lavender, or wheaten. I'm just not that excited about having a brown chicken. But, like you, I can still love a chicken despite its coloring. I'll post pics of my new babies when I get them (hopefully this week!) and as they feather out, so maybe that can help you.

You might want to invest in purebred Ameracaunas rather than Easter Eggers. That way you get everything that an EE has to offer but can also select your chicks based on color. I have a buff Ameracauna, a black Ameracauna and a splash Ameracauna. Then I have a beautiful blue Olive Egger (1/2 Marans and 1/2 Ameracauna). All of my pullets were sorted by color as soon as they hatched.You can find my Ameracauna breeder (she ships) by searching for “Itty Bitty Farm” within Facebook (you can’t Google her page; you have to search within Facebook).

They come in all kinds of colors!
Here are our 3 that are 10.5 months old now. We purchased 3 females, but one turned out to be a male. We removed him and sent him to freezer camp around 16 weeks old.
So, 2 were chipmunk color, the other pale with some grey as chicks.
View attachment 1649654 View attachment 1649655 View attachment 1649656 View attachment 1649657

Here is the male. You can see how copper colored his shoulders are. Apparently this often indicates male, when it is prominent. You can wee that the light colored female above also has some copper, but it is much less.
View attachment 1649658

Here he is shortly before culling. He actually was developing what appeared to be a mullet. Complete with very blond feathers down the back of his neck. He was actually fairly unattractive overall, and out neighbor (not one to mince words) told us "Now that is one ugly rooter!" Since we did not want a male EE, and had ordered a female, we culled.
View attachment 1649659

Light female around 3.5 months
View attachment 1649672

Darker female around 3.5 months
View attachment 1649673

Which chick turned out to be male?

Back
Top Bottom