Easter Egger club!

I'm wondering what kind of mix my EE is. She's a feed store special that was listed as araucana (yeah right). Any guesses? I love this mottled coloring but don't know what to call it.

We should come up with a name for this coloring since it is so common -she looks just like my Penny. I'm not a great namer, tho.
Edited: someone said it is called "blue-red". Not nearly as cool as Silver Falcon or Buff Colombian. ;-)
Also, 2x for the pix request to CluckCluck's Chip, the bantam roo, as he matures. He is already a looker with all that silver.

Last edited:
We had a chipmunk chick turn into the most beautiful boy.

These two were identical as chicks and now so different. It's amazing how much they change.

Heres chip at about 4 days old as well

I have a quick genetics question. This roo fathered a black and 2 blue chicks from my EE hens. None of my hens are blue/splash. I was playing with a genetics calculator and can't figure out how he thew blue chicks. I thought he was a recessive white, My question is could he be a really white splash? He does have 2 or 3 dark feathers but that's all.

Any opinions would be great.Thanks

I have a quick genetics question. This roo fathered a black and 2 blue chicks from my EE hens. None of my hens are blue/splash. I was playing with a genetics calculator and can't figure out how he thew blue chicks. I thought he was a recessive white, My question is could he be a really white splash? He does have 2 or 3 dark feathers but that's all.

Any opinions would be great.Thanks

Since he fathered a black chick he is not a splash . Recessive white can carry blue . I would say he has 1 copy of blue . So basically he is black diluted to blue by 1 blue gene hidden by 2 copies of recessive white . Recessive whites often show a dark feather or 2 .

Thank you. That helps allot. I prefer blues over all other colors and thought I was out of luck when my splash bantam roo died. I will have to rethink my hens now to go towards the blues.

I have 6 EGGERS.not sure how old they are. They are great. And I'm not sure which ones will be roosters? Will post better pics tomorrow

Back
Top Bottom