Easter Egger club!

Gotta brag on my birds a bit. I agree with the broccoli weirdness. Mine used to love it now they eat all the florets and leave the stems. All my birds LOVE the weeds I pull from my flower beds and any greens like kale and chard. My Easter egger is named Bunny and her favorite thing to do is peek out of the coop door when I open it to give treats. It cracks me up every time she does it.

Peak!

Pardon the messy coop we have had several rainy days and the run is top of my list to clean up.

What mess?? they poo wherever n whenever and I think most of us are use to it. heck I go out to coop and run in flipflops.
TRUTH! I go in flip flops too and it's a darn good thing feet wash! It's even worse with meat birds, plus you risk losing a toe! I don't even need to shave my legs once they are done with me.
big_smile.png

Lost my little EE today :/ I'm not sure what happened but when I came home she was laying on her side in the run. The run door was open and everyone was out in the yard. She hasn't got a mark on her and hasn't shown any signs of being unwell. Very upset about losing a favourite in my flock :'( I'm not sure what to do. Her little friend is very upset. The two of them have been together since chicks and I have slowly integrated them into the flock. What do I do? Her friend the little frizzle is so much smaller than the others and I'm worried about her being bullied. They are/were 21 weeks.

Lost my little EE today
hmm.png
I'm not sure what happened but when I came home she was laying on her side in the run. The run door was open and everyone was out in the yard. She hasn't got a mark on her and hasn't shown any signs of being unwell. Very upset about losing a favourite in my flock :'( I'm not sure what to do. Her little friend is very upset. The two of them have been together since chicks and I have slowly integrated them into the flock. What do I do? Her friend the little frizzle is so much smaller than the others and I'm worried about her being bullied. They are/were 21 weeks.
it might have gotten trampled.

I don't think so. Everyone was out and about this morning when I left and it would be very unusual for them to all return to the run. It's also quite a large space and she wasn't in the corner or anything. She was very easily scared though so I am thinking perhaps a pigeon or something got stuck in the run while she was in there and it freaked her out and she had a heart attack. Very upset for her little friend.

Just like with people, some go earlier than others. She could have eaten something weird or had something like a heart murmur that take her until 21 weeks.

She will be fine and find her way into the lock. We got a chick that is 3 weeks younger than everyone else. That chick found one of the older ones to buddy up with and now they are together all day long. It might take 3 or 4 weeks but they figure it out. Good luck to you!

Is there any way to work backward and figure out what breeds your EE is? Mine is (I think) pretty typically colored: yellow/gold head fading to dark grey at the tail. She doesn't have cheeks yet, but they might come in after her juvie molt. She's got great green legs. (towards the end of my leg here, pictured with our partridge rock, welsummer, and speckled sussex)

Yes, NO...maybe?? LOL
Chicken colors and patterns all come from specific genes or combinations of them, some known and some unknown.
You have alot better chance of figuring out a cross breeds lineage if you hatched it and know the possible parents.
then you can do ALOT of figuring to see what would give the phenotype you have....

For example, if your EE has barring, and you only have 1 barred rooster or hen...you know one of its parents.
If you have a menagerie of breeds running together with multiple roosters....you have a task indeed! If you like genetics, it is interesting to try however. IT will help if you have pictures from chick to adulthood as well, certain genes "cause" certain colors and patterns in chick down.

Last edited:
Is there any way to work backward and figure out what breeds your EE is? Mine is (I think) pretty typically colored: yellow/gold head fading to dark grey at the tail. She doesn't have cheeks yet, but they might come in after her juvie molt. She's got great green legs. (towards the end of my leg here, pictured with our partridge rock, welsummer, and speckled sussex)

That is a very common EE hen color . Comes in a range of shades from light to dark . Many here call it partridge but it is not a SOP partridge color .Traces back to South America . I have seen it called sweet potato in some of the South American stocks kept by native people that have made it north . I know the common story is that EE are mixes but some hatchery flocks still have this color . So nothing traceable that I can see .

Back
Top Bottom