Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

I still say pullet, she looks a lot like a couple of mine, including an Easter Egger that had me guessing, but, in the end, even with tail feathers that looked like your EE's, my chicken is clearly a hen. She is 14 weeks and is unquestionably a hen, minus laying an egg which is the final word, but, we have a few weeks before we can look for that.

I still have a backup plan... New coop is being built this weekend. These two newbies will be added to the bigs very soon (all 4 have free ranged together for over a week now). And my cage and little coop will be open for 2 Barred Rocks from feed store which will arrive sometime around the 20th and some pure bred Araucanas (for my 100% guarantee blue eggs!!!). They are $8-15 a piece so I'm not sure how many I will cave in to!!

Yep. I'm official. 3 chicks in March + 2 chicks in Sept. + 4 chicks in Nov. = Crazy chicken lady!!!
:yiipchick

I still say pullet, she looks a lot like a couple of mine, including an Easter Egger that had me guessing, but, in the end, even with tail feathers that looked like your EE's, my chicken is clearly a hen. She is 14 weeks and is unquestionably a hen, minus laying an egg which is the final word, but, we have a few weeks before we can look for that. 

Do you have pics you could post? Also any black and white Easter eggers I have been seeing pics of are males...

Good morning everyone!! Back again with an update-- my last pics of this one was I think 2 or 3 weeks ago. Now my bird is about 9 weeks old. I think all of you who said pullet might be changing your minds this week!!!!

Haven't changed my mind either Buffalo Girl (won't you come out tonight, come out tonight ...
wink.png
)
Green sheen only means there is likely a black chicken breed in the genes. My 3 Y/o BAs and my 21 week old BJGs all have green sheen and they are all girls.

Also, at that age at least one of my EE had loose saddle feathers. Look at the ones on your bird. REALLY rounded. IIRC, cockerels will have POINTED saddle feathers.

And the very even coloring/pattern.

Nope, I may eat crow in a few weeks but my guess is I'll go hungry.

Good morning everyone!! Back again with an update-- my last pics of this one was I think 2 or 3 weeks ago. Now my bird is about 9 weeks old. I think all of you who said pullet might be changing your minds this week!!!!

I could be wrong, but I also am still thinking this is a pullet. The curly tail feathers will fall out and be replaced when she gets older.

That's female 'silver' partridge type coloring. Males of that sort of coloring will have a solid black chest and big white patches on the shoulders. That comb is tiny. Those tail feathers look like that, because they are juvenile feathers that will molt out in another week or two. Male specific feathering doesn't begin to develop until about 10 weeks old, and can't easily be seen until several weeks after.

Back
Top Bottom