Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

Can EE chicks be any color? I got some "Ameraucana" pullets from my local feed store today which I'm guessing are actually EE's. Anyways, they are allllllll different crazy colors.

Yep they are and yes they can! Age old problem with hatcheries calling birds Ameraucana (or spelling variants so they are not actually claiming they are selling true Ameraucanas) because there is no APA breed named Easter Egger. I wish they could get over themselves given EEs are a very popular non-breed.

I have one that was 99% pure white/yellow except a smudge of apricot on her head. She looked a LOT like the 2 White Rock chicks. Even her legs were "are those KINDA green"?
Now she is a pretty white with apricot/tan markings

The other two where chipmunks, one had a kinda goldish head, the other kinda orangish

The one on the right now looks like this:

and the other like this

[/IMG][/IMG]

Trying to figure out if this is a hen or a roo?! Please help! Thanks!

Ok I figured the red one was a rooster. How can you tell the Easter egger is a hen?
Almost no comb and very pale.
Muted coloring, no patches of dark red on the shoulders, as a male with that coloring would have.
No thin, pointed saddle feathers. (The red feathers cascading on either side of the tail on your cockerel.)
No sharply pointed hackle (neck) feathers.

Compare her to your male, and you will see distinct differences in shape and stance of male vs female. Look at his tail too. Once you know what to look for, it's pretty easy.
smile.png
The saddle feathers are a dead give away.

Ok thanks! I wasn't certain. I have six birds total. These two are always together and the other four are always together. I was 90% sure the red one was a rooster and since I couldn't tell about the Easter egger I assumed it may have been one as well. Birds of a feather.....thanks for all the help!

I posted these pictures on another thread... But I wanted to get your guys opinion I bought these and I was told they were pullets but some of the ladies think they are cockerels and I'm hoping not because the. I have only 2 hens that are Rhode Island reds which means I have like 5 roosters :/

Back
Top Bottom