Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

Quote:
I love the pics.. and their stances are what I love about them...
woot.gif

Quote:
billfields I owe you an apology.
big_smile.png
Turns out you were right on the mark. BOTH Lana AND Lulu have turned out to be roos.
I've seen where folks believe that white/black chicks usually turn out male. Was true in our case.

Quote:
I thought so.
smile.png
Larry and Lou looked too much like Abajah to be Lulu and Lana! But I'm sorry as I expect you wanted hens. Do you have photos of them now. I'm interested to see how they turn out and how much they end up looking like Abajah. Probably biased here but I think he is turning into a fine looking rooster. The lacing on his neck is getting a distinct gold sheen to it and there's some gold coming in on his back as well. No crowing but he's sprouting spurs. Here he is, 10 weeks tomorrow...

40181_web-ab100_2738.jpg

40181_web-ab100_2706.jpg

40181_web-ab100_2708.jpg

Hi all,
I'm still a bit confused regarding the "red means roo" coloring tip. Does that only work if just the shoulders and wings have splashes of dark red? What if there is dark red splashed over the rest of the body as well? Thanks!
smile.png

Quote:
It's the bright splashes of red that typically start on on the shoulders, but as in this little roo, can be in other places:

10weeksold011.jpg

Notice this red colored EE roo - he's got red all over, but it's those especially bright patches on his shoulder that give it away (besides taking other signs into account, such as his tall stance and larger comb). This one is 1/2 RIR, so he had me confused for awhile because I figured he should have a lot of red feathering anyway, but now that he's 10 weeks of age and it's much more obvious, my denial has given way to the truth
smile.png

10weeksold008.jpg

Thank you ArizonaDesertChicks! That helps a lot! :) The amazing variety in this breed makes them so pretty and interesting, but confusing!

I have a question, probably a stupid one but here it goes. I have three EE roo's that need to go to freezer camp. I know they are not what would be considered to be a large bird at maturity. I want to know at what age I should slaughter? I know they need to be of eating size but at what age does that happen and what kind of size might I expect? They are about two months and they have access to as much food as they want.

Thanks in advance for any input you might have

Quote:
I would say rooster based on the fact that every other one on this thread with that black/white/brown coloring has turned out to be an alarm clock not an omelet factory....
big_smile.png

Based on mine, he'll start to get more brown splashes as he gets older.

Quote:
I would say rooster based on the fact that every other one on this thread with that black/white/brown coloring has turned out to be an alarm clock not an omelet factory....
big_smile.png

Based on mine, he'll start to get more brown splashes as he gets older.

TOLD YOU JUAN!
wink.png

Also, at this age, it's better to get pics of the saddle/hackle feathers. A good clear side shot will help

Jess

Back
Top Bottom