Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

Hi everyone. I've been reading this thread but I'm only on post #850 so I jumped ahead to ask a question as I will be getting two EEs tomorrow or Friday.

Is there a certain color or pattern to pick or avoid when choosing EE chicks to make the chance of NOT getting any boys? They will be hatchery stock and "sexed" as pullets but that's only 90% accuracy rate. I'm not even sure if they will have any differences or not, they may all look exactly the same when we go to pick them up ,lol, but I just want to go prepared with as much knowledge as possible.

I'm kind of hoping that we get the call for Friday, because if we get the call Thursday that means my husband will be going to get them because I will be at work that day. Not that I don't trust him but I have all kinds of information that I will give him I'm afraid it might get jumbled up between the three different chicken breeds we are getting, lol

Also, I just read on the last post before I jumped ahead that single comb mean no colored eggs? It's probably way too early to tell, but can you tell on a chick that young if it will have single or pea comb?

I will be sure to post pics after I get them :)

I hope it was ok to ask these questions here.
Thanks in advance.

Hatchery sexing for Easter Eggers is more like 75%. And there is no way to tell based on chick down. A chipmunk chick can feather into anything really. My silver chipmunk with dark eyeliner baby turned into a gold partridge hen, a yellow and brown one with eyeliner turned into my red cockerel. You can't really tell what the comb type is until about a week old.

Any hope of my daughter's fav being a female? (I always joke that if she falls in love with a chick, then it's 100% chance of being male. Here's the latest "Love." It looked like we finally had a female until a few days ago. The comb is getting wider & I think I'm seeing a touch of orangish pink.

5.5 weeks
Mom= EE
Dad= Lavender orpington

Any hope of my daughter's fav being a female? (I always joke that if she falls in love with a chick, then it's 100% chance of being male. Here's the latest "Love." It looked like we finally had a female until a few days ago. The comb is getting wider & I think I'm seeing a touch of orangish pink.

5.5 weeks
Mom= EE
Dad= Lavender orpington

I see what I think is three rows of peas, BUT the comb is still yellow and I see no other cockerel signs, and the body looks very feminine. I think pullets.

Hatchery sexing for Easter Eggers is more like 75%. And there is no way to tell based on chick down. A chipmunk chick can feather into anything really. My silver chipmunk with dark eyeliner baby turned into a gold partridge hen, a yellow and brown one with eyeliner turned into my red cockerel. You can't really tell what the comb type is until about a week old.

Eeek just 75%
hmm.png
Do they vent sex them I wonder?
I guess we'll just pick two and hope they are girls.
Thanks for responding.
I'm sure I'll be posting pics on here asking for opinions as they grow.

Any hope of my daughter's fav being a female? (I always joke that if she falls in love with a chick, then it's 100% chance of being male. Here's the latest "Love." It looked like we finally had a female until a few days ago. The comb is getting wider & I think I'm seeing a touch of orangish pink. 5.5 weeks Mom= EE Dad= Lavender orpington
Cockerel looks like three pea comb
Take your best guess?? Pullet or cockerel? 4 wks old, the comb is more orange that pink.
Cockerel big wide comb for 4 weeks

Back
Top Bottom