Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

I'm thinking this 4 week old white Ameraucana is a cockerel. What do you all think?

Are there clear cut pictures on this thread of the three bump / one bump male/female thing? Also, is this purely an EE trait, or can other breeds be sexed like this?
Here's a very easy to tell black male.
3 row comb with a touch of pink, thick legs, & roo stance - all at only 3 weeks old

A different 4 wk old brown roo with 3 row pea comb & red patches just starting

Same brown roo at 8 weeks

Female common color; single row comb

Here's a 4 1/2 week old female with an even feather pattern

She also has the narrow comb.

Same girl below at 8 wks.

below= all grown up

I have another chick in question, comb has been wider since day 1 but I haven't seen much as far as development goes, now getting some darker red than I'm comfortable with on the wings. They are 4 weeks old, the one I'm worried about is the white with orange barring.

At what age should i expect my male to start cocka-doodle-doo noises? I have a silkie roo that i got when he was over a year that my husband wont let me give away, so i nees to find a way to make these two roos co-exsist together until i get another coop built. My EE roo is 8 weeks and showing deft signs of being a male..my EEa are seperated from my grown girls with chicken wire until they are equal size.. Anyways im rambling.. What age will he sing? Will they be able to co-exist or should i keep them seperate until new pen is built?

At what age should i expect my male to start cocka-doodle-doo noises? I have a silkie roo that i got when he was over a year that my husband wont let me give away, so i nees to find a way to make these two roos co-exsist together until i get another coop built. My EE roo is 8 weeks and showing deft signs of being a male..my EEa are seperated from my grown girls with chicken wire until they are equal size.. Anyways im rambling.. What age will he sing? Will they be able to co-exist or should i keep them seperate until new pen is built?

You never know.

My 15 month Black Australorp started exercising his voice around 5 weeks. I have a 12 week ISA Brown that started about the same age, but stopped (probably due to being moved into the coop with the Australorp).
They may sort things out fine, or they may fight a lot.

Last edited:
Several of my cockerels have started crowing around 5 weeks. I think the reason is, the early crowers were all marans or part marans (marans x EE), so they mature early. That being said, they will only crow at that age if they are not anywhere near my grown rooster. I usually move them out to the main coop and have them stay there til 12 weeks without a problem.

My grown rooster first started mating with the hens when he was about 12 weeks old, so that's why I will only keep my cockerels out there til they are 12 weeks old. I figure everybody will get along well enough until the cockerels try to mate with the hens. So by 12 weeks, my cockerels have to go, just in case.

I had an EE start at 8 wks & he sounded like a little roo by 12-15 weeks.. My lav Orpington didn't start until 21 wks & even then it wasn't a real crow until a month later.

Back
Top Bottom