Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

Not supposed to own roosters in my town and yards are small. Do you think those anti crow collars are inhumane? As a singer by trade it's hard for me to choke off even an animal's voice. Would you advise I go seeking out farms that might take him?

Lyricfx - sure looks it by comb- can we get a body shot and one from the top?

Last edited:
Not supposed to own roosters in my town and yards are small. Do you think those anti crow collars are inhumane? As a singer by trade it's hard for me to choke off even an animal's voice. Would you advise I go seeking out farms that might take him?

He is for sure a cockerel. If you are seriously thinking about keeping him, I would suggest that you check with all your neighbors to see if they would object to the noise. Most noise violations are enforced only when people complain. Keep in mind that many roosters crow before the sun comes up (sometimes even at a full moon) which can mean before 5 am in the summer months. I know someone who puts her roosters in the garage every night, and her neighbors are okay with some crowing during the day. It's a huge commitment. The anti-crowing collars have mixed results from what I've heard, but haven't tried them myself.

They both strike me as cockerels, but without knowing the age or seeing the combs up close, I am not sure. Agree about your other 2, one pullet & one cockerel.
they are almost 7 weeks old. i was really hoping for 2 girls! i looked at it a little closer last night and even though the comb isnt as red, and its as small as the pullet.. its getting little spurs, so I am not holding out much hope for 2 girls! Darn it!

Do you think the one on the left is a pullet? I'm sure the other isnt..

[/URL][/IMG

Same one...

I'm sure the 2 brown ones are a boy and girl..

Quote:
I had to go back and look again.

What I am looking at is the patchiness of the coloring on the black and white ones. Females tend to have very fine, even patterns, with no big blocks of color on the wings, and I am seeing patches of white on both of yours. However, we have seen a couple of blk & wht pullets on this thread that did have some patches disrupting the pattern, so it's always best to verify by looking at the comb. If you can get pics on the 2 in question, we might be able to tell now.

A pullet at 7 weeks will have a pale or peach colored comb with a single thinnish raised ridge down the center (expected for pea comb). Cockerels will usually have a puffier comb, with what looks like a large center ridge with two lesser ridges running down either side. Cockerels' combs turn bright raspberry pink while pullets usually stay pale or peachy. At 7 weeks, most of the time the comb will start showing in cockerels, but not always. Maybe since your red guy is more developed, he may be depressing the development of the others (this is a theory, don't know if it really happens).

Females and males have spur buds, so you cannot sex them this way. Males don't usually start growing their spurs until about a year old. Keep them til they crow if there is any doubt. I have heard of boyish looking birds grow up and lay eggs!
smile.png

I have this EE chick who is 5 weeks old. She has a single pea come forming, however "she" has lots of uneven dark red patches. I tried to take the best pics I could with flash, but they didn't work out to good. Sorry. Here are the pics. Sorry!

I will try to get better pics tomorrow. Sorry again!

Back
Top Bottom