Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

The comb on Bird 1 doesn't look like a typical pea comb seen on EEs. The comb on Bird 2 looks pinkish and cockerel like to me, but maybe a tad bit early to know for sure.

Thank you, I'll get better pictures as the weeks go. They do not like being handled at all unlike my other birds. Right now, just trying to integrate them into the flock and that is not going so well.

I have three more EE chicks from the same hatch as our cockerel Brimley. I have guesses for each of these, but let's see what y'all think.

This is Owl. Her face looked just like a little owl when she first hatched. I had to help her out of her shell.

Sesame

Sesame in the back, Wilford in the front

Just Wilford. Sorry it's blurry

What do you think? I think Owl could be a pullet but the comb is awfully pink. Sesame I have no idea. Wilford I'm thinking cockerel because of the delayed tail feather growth.

Thanks in advance!

Quote:
None of them are obvious yet. I would bet Sesame is a male because of the larger pink comb and the beginnings of patchy coloring. Not sure on Owl and Wilford, they look pullet-y for now, but 6 weeks is an age of great change, so if you can post again in a week or two, we might see cockerel signs then. One thing, when I enlarge your pics, the image is quite blurry. Clear pictures of the combs are really helpful, if you have cooperative chickens, or a helper.
smile.png

I'm back! Lol! It's been a while since I posted but I'm checking back in to see if you guys think our 9 week old bird Kyle is a pullet or cockerel. Most people told me to wait and see when he/she was 5 weeks. What do you think now?

A little help on this EE chick? I read the forum, noticing the trend on b&with EE tending to be male. This is Hawks. We're guessing roo but hoping were wrong. They're about 8 weeks old.
[/URL]
I cannot see the comb clearly enough. Would expect a male to be darker pink at 8 wks. The coloring could be male or female, seen both with that look. Legs and overall shape look male. Leaning toward male, but would need to see the comb more clearly to be sure.

None of them are obvious yet. I would bet Sesame is a male because of the larger pink comb and the beginnings of patchy coloring. Not sure on Owl and Wilford, they look pullet-y for now, but 6 weeks is an age of great change, so if you can post again in a week or two, we might see cockerel signs then. One thing, when I enlarge your pics, the image is quite blurry. Clear pictures of the combs are really helpful, if you have cooperative chickens, or a helper.
smile.png

Thanks so much! These 3 chicks were raised by my broody hen and are extremely timid around people, so I had to take the pictures from a relative distance and zoom in. I'll try again in two weeks and do it at night so they're sleepy and we can grab them. I'm really hoping at least one of my four EEs is a pullet. I can't have only cockerels from this hatch!
barnie.gif

Bird 1

Bird 2

Both

Wondering about sex of these two EE's. Maybe 5-6 weeks old but not positive. I'll post them weekly and hopefully eventually we will know before long!
First one looks like a pullet for now. Second one I suspect is a cockerel based on the feather pattern. Think I see the beginning of red coming in on the wing in the 3rd pic.

@Crankles , Nothing shouting rooster on those three yet. I'm going to vote pullet on all.

@sideadde , Welcome to BYC! I'm afraid Hawks is a cockerel, with that wide, reddish comb and those stocky legs. Black and white EE pullets are relatively common, but they will usually have a far more even, consistent coloring (see photos below) where as cockerels are more patchy.

Here are a couple of examples of a B and w EE pullets:

Note the consistent even coloring.

@lillyrosesmum , Kyle is definitely a pullet, and a very pretty one too!

@gaitanm24 , Bird #1 looks like a pullet, Bird #2 looks like a cockerel.

Back
Top Bottom