Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

We added a couple new Easter eggers to our flock. What do you think?

Thanks. So, the fact that one has a tail sticking up and the other doesn't isn't a give away? The more I read I'm wondering if you just have to wait until it crows. How old when they crow?
Usually, cockerels are pretty obvious by 8 weeks old. At just a few weeks old, tails mean absolutely nothing. Male specific feathering doesn't begin to develop until about 10 weeks of age.
As for crowing, some crow at just a few weeks old, others don't crow till they are over 8 months old. Both extremes, and everything in between, are completely normal.

Usually, cockerels are pretty obvious by 8 weeks old. At just a few weeks old, tails mean absolutely nothing. Male specific feathering doesn't begin to develop until about 10 weeks of age. 
As for crowing, some crow at just a few weeks old, others don't crow till they are over 8 months old. Both extremes, and everything in between, are completely normal.

Thank you SOOOO much. I'm like the gentleman praying for poulets. These two are being hand raised by my granddaughter and we are praying hard they are both poulets.

It's me again. I'm pretty confident Daphne is a Dabney.

He's only 5 weeks old, so looks wise: plumage isn't a great tell, he is black/silver which I've heard can sometimes indicate a rooster, but his comb has gotten much bigger and much redder over the last week. His legs are thicker than the other chicks, and his talons are huge compared to the others, and causing big welts when he scratches us. I can deal but it's harder for kids to understand. No crowing yet, but behaviors have escalated to the point where he is harassing some of the other birds and making life difficult for the smaller ones.

Photos:

I know the last one is blurry, but it's a good color reference. Thoughts?

It's me again. I'm pretty confident Daphne is a Dabney.

He's only 5 weeks old, so looks wise: plumage isn't a great tell, he is black/silver which I've heard can sometimes indicate a rooster, but his comb has gotten much bigger and much redder over the last week. His legs are thicker than the other chicks, and his talons are huge compared to the others, and causing big welts when he scratches us. I can deal but it's harder for kids to understand. No crowing yet, but behaviors have escalated to the point where he is harassing some of the other birds and making life difficult for the smaller ones.

Photos:

I know the last one is blurry, but it's a good color reference. Thoughts?

Yes, he is a Dabney

It is me again. Believe it or not one of the 4 week old baby is trying to crow. Not sure which one.

Can you possibly describe what that sounds like...I think mine is a girl, but I want to make sure. So I haven't heard a sound like that (don't think anyways) but want to know what to listen for. Every once in awhile I hear a partial cluck nose come from her, but mostly she still "peeps"...lol

Back
Top Bottom