Eastern Tennessee Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
yep...what Robert said
smile.png

Chicken math question: How many chickens do you have?
Answer: NOT ENOUGH!

It's come to the point that my children BEG strangers to NOT ask me any more questions about our chickens. I will gladly talk all day about how training roosters is similar to training dogs, about the funny things my birds did last week, how many chicks I've hatched in the incubator this year, etc.

For what it is worth: a lady keeping Silkies told her neighbors they were "African Ground Parrots". Nobody says exactly what sort of birds those are clucking in your backyard.... My nine year old son says some hens chuckle.

Back to lurking in monsoonning Virginia (awesome lightning show as bonus!).

Sandra, if you are hiding a couple hens... go with SPECKLED Sussex. They will be more camoflauged. A Delaware sticks out like a sore thumb. And just so you are ready for it... hens are loud when they lay. Can you blame them!?!

And for the record, the loudest hen I have is a Australorp. She "screams" for a hour before laying. Just walks around the yard going "Whaaaaa whaaaa whaaaaaaaaaa" on TOP of her lungs.

Ha, no I sure can't blame them. I think I can mayb put them kinda under one of my huge magnolia tree with min. Pruning, next to the wood pile which backs up to a strip of woods. There is a street kinda behind my woods, but its like 100 ft higher then where we are, so they can peer down over the wood pile. Can't see much but the wood pile n further down into the yrd. During the summer the trees block the view, but in winter they can see more. The magnolia is a good yr round cover. Its going to b tricky. Everything in the entire neighborhood is wide open, no fences, no sidewalks. I agree the the sussex is the way to go. I'm determined to do it, and if there is anyway it can b figured out while providing a safe and healthy home for my hens, its as good as done. I'm so mad, I just found out that people can have chickens in Knoxville, what's up with johnson city!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom