What breed is this?

Mihris

Hatching
Mar 18, 2024
I've recently discovered this forum and I think I can finally find out what breed they are.
Backstory: Around 2017-2018 I bought from a firm that you know sells 1 day old chicks you buy them online but one from eastern Europe cuz that's where I'm from. They were called "gourmet" turkeys an small breed of turkeys, the difference in size between males and females was big and they could fly (like take off in flight and find them and some neighbor a few houses away both females and males), the chicks were full black with white faces and the adults full black, like except the skin at the head everything black even the eyes, they didn't like to have any interaction with me, they would get really scared and never sleep on the ground had to put stuff on the walls so that they would sleep, the females all of them and I bought a few dozen were broody and would hide from me I don't even know were and come out with chicks from the hiding spot. Taste wise they tasted like a wild turkey. Here are some photos maybe u guys can identify.
1710799364403.png
1710799385300.png
1710799395989.png
1710799441116.png
1710799500730.png
1710799639746.png

This was the growth chart:
1710799537295.png

Last edited:
They were called "gourmet" turkeys an small breed of turkeys,
In the US.. possibly what's referred to as "heritage" as opposed to broad breasted. Usually takes longer to grow out and cost more to purchase if even available at the supermarket.. therefore "gourmet".

Variety is mostly color, my understanding being the same as the first poster stated.. they are all turkeys and no breed exist among them.. (though how beltsville small white SIZE plays in is still variety according to selective breeding, I guess??)

The following link is to the VARIETIES page (of a hatchery type business) but there is other useful information on that site.. even though it's not specific to eastern Europe maybe it can still be helpful..

https://porterturkeys.com/Varieties-c153176750

Taste wise they tasted like a wild turkey
Most domestic animals do taste and texture a lot like their wild counter parts, it's ONE reason why "we" domesticated them, and also so we didn't have to find our dinner and chase it down.

Cute babies, handsome birds! :love

Variety is mostly color
Color is a subdivision of variety. An example could be Palm as the variety and the colors being Royal Palm, Blue Palm, Red Palm, Chocolate Palm, etc.

At this time in the U.S. the varieties have not been subdivided in to colors. The APA has left that possibility open. Unfortunately there does not seem to be enough interest from turkey raisers to even get more than the current 8 varieties recognized.

Back
Top Bottom