Eastern Tennessee Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bairo

Songster
8 Years
I see a general and a middle Tennessee thread but not one for Eastern Tennessee? Seems like a lot of folks in the other two are actually from Eastern Tn. Sooooo, I thought I would just start one. I know I for one would like to have a local source for info, buying, selling, trading, etc....

I live just outside Newport in Cocke County.

Last edited:
We're back up and running. YAY!
yesss.gif

My sister would like to know. Who to buy Fruit Trees from. We were just talking about my garden last night. When I bought all my seeds. I got extra for her and our mother. She was so excited to find that out. She made the commit that she wanted some fruit trees. I didn't ask what kind. Is there a local nursery that we could try??
http://www.ediblelandscaping.com/ I've never ordered from there personally, but I found some decent reviews on them. Here's their "review" on dave's garden http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/125/#b

I'd also love to know of a local nursery that specialized in fruit trees and bushes. This is the closest one I know of, but they only have a limited selection of fruit trees, they are mostly blueberries.

ETA: Gotta have my RAWR! moment.

It may have taken me three separate days of working on it. My hands might be blistered and bloodied. But I have victory!

Last edited:
PoultryLady do you sell mandarin ducklings?
I will be selling the ducklings, not just hatched though, I will keep them for a month or so before I sell them.

I am very happy with the big incubator, I don't think I will use it for chicken eggs though, I believe I will use it for quail eggs, I can't imagine how many it will hold, maybe as many as 10,000? I would love to see this big bator totally restored to the redwood with the brown paint taken off, but I really don't see myself doing this, it would be alot of work and I really don't have the time or the know how to do it. I have always wanted one of these old incubators, not really one this big though, but the price was so cheap I could not turn it down. This monster must weigh at least 800 pounds. My husband and I are both in our 50's. It just about killed us getting it off the truck! It is on the screened in back porch now and I quess that is where it will set.

I don't know what I would do without my friends. I may get to keep everyone after all. I talked to my boss and she found some solutions, we may end up buying after all, we found several places for sale with land that the payments are in my range and below. My friends dad is a realtor and he knows me well, he will help us as much as he can and my mom got our backs too. So this may turn out to be a good thing for us.

brown batter mix:
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups flour
1/4 cup cocoa
1 tsp baking soda
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon white vinegar
1 cup water
Combine above ingredients and fill paper cupcake things 1/3 full, should fill 24 evenly

cream cheese center:
1 8oz package of cream cheese
1 cup chocoloate chips (semi-sweet)
1 egg
1/3 cup sugar
Beat above ingredients until the cream cheese is less chucky, scoop 1-2 tablespoons worth into each cup in center of chocolate mix, I usually eye ball the amount and try to use all the mixture.

bake at 350* for 20-25 minutes until toothpick in chocolate mix comes out clean. They're good warm, refridgerated, or frozen! :)

xchickie

you got me in a researching mood, LOL
here is a great quote from the 1902 edition about feed and baby chicks that I liked (maybe daph does this?)

BILL OF FARE.
The first meal for chickens after being taken from
the nest should be boiled eggs, chopped fine, shells
and all, also baked corn cake or excelsior meal cake
crumbled into scalded milk ; no fluid as drink but the
scalded milk. After the first twenty-four hours, after
their gizzards have become filled with egg-shell, gravel,
etc., let their meal in the early morning be excelsior
meal, bread and scalded milk; at ten o'clock granulated
corn; at two o'clock the excelsior, bread and mflk, and at
six o'clock canary seed, millet seed, and granulated
corn. This if the hen be confined and the chickens
have their liberty to find grass and insect food. Thus
feed till two weeks old, when it will be found that few
or any deaths will have occurred, and the chickens
started well for rapid and vigorous growth.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom