Eastern Tennessee Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
My sister would like to know. Who to buy Fruit Trees from. We were just talking about my garden last night. When I bought all my seeds. I got extra for her and our mother. She was so excited to find that out. She made the commit that she wanted some fruit trees. I didn't ask what kind. Is there a local nursery that we could try??

My sister would like to know. Who to buy Fruit Trees from. We were just talking about my garden last night. When I bought all my seeds. I got extra for her and our mother. She was so excited to find that out. She made the commit that she wanted some fruit trees. I didn't ask what kind. Is there a local nursery that we could try??
http://www.ediblelandscaping.com/ I've never ordered from there personally, but I found some decent reviews on them. Here's their "review" on dave's garden http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/125/#b

I'd also love to know of a local nursery that specialized in fruit trees and bushes. This is the closest one I know of, but they only have a limited selection of fruit trees, they are mostly blueberries.

ETA: Gotta have my RAWR! moment.

It may have taken me three separate days of working on it. My hands might be blistered and bloodied. But I have victory!

Last edited:
Veges: Just a thought about seeds - if you buy heirloom seeds rather than hybrid you can save the seeds and use them the following year and get the same plant. If you try that with hybrid you don't know what you might get! Cherokee Purple tomatoes are especially flavorful, juicy and "bug" tolerant but not good for canning. An old Appalachian hand-me-down bean is Cut Short Greasy Beans or "Greasy Cuts." Have strings but flavor makes them worth stringing.

Chickens: Infectious bronchitis - has anyone had any luck treating this? It has been so wet this winter I wonder if that has increased the chance of respiratory problems.

Really starting to enjoy reading this site! Thanks

Welcome new chicks. Not much happening here but all my gals are now laying finally. Next month I will be starting up my incubator. Hubby wants me to increase flock to over 30 due to bear attacking this past year. Hopefully he is gone for good but will not know till next winter.

Speaking of winter is anyone else having mixed up plants? My daffodills are already up and with buds. Then again we will bein the 60's this saturday.

TNchick721 all my fruit trees came from Lowes. They are doing great. We have as of now 1 cherry, 1 nectrine and 3 plums. All semi drawfs in front of our house.

http://www.ediblelandscaping.com/ I've never ordered from there personally, but I found some decent reviews on them. Here's their "review" on dave's garden http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/125/#b

I'd also love to know of a local nursery that specialized in fruit trees and bushes. This is the closest one I know of, but they only have a limited selection of fruit trees, they are mostly blueberries.

ETA: Gotta have my RAWR! moment.

It may have taken me three separate days of working on it. My hands might be blistered and bloodied. But I have victory!

LOL I probably would have gave up after a hour!
gig.gif
Carrying 50lbs of feed just about does me in. I'm such a weakling.
hmm.png
Good Job
highfive.gif

Speaking of winter is anyone else having mixed up plants? My daffodills are already up and with buds. Then again we will bein the 60's this saturday.

TNchick721 all my fruit trees came from Lowes. They are doing great. We have as of now 1 cherry, 1 nectrine and 3 plums. All semi drawfs in front of our house.

My daffodills are up. But no buds yet. Those are my favorite flowers. I've got them planted every where.

Welcome new chicks. Not much happening here but all my gals are now laying finally. Next month I will be starting up my incubator. Hubby wants me to increase flock to over 30 due to bear attacking this past year. Hopefully he is gone for good but will not know till next winter.

x2 on the trees. In the fall Lowes had the fruit trees on sale. After that big wind storm they were blown over and marked down again. I talked the nursery manager into giving them to me for $9.00 each if I bought 10. I ended up with 12.... 10 apples of 3 different varieties and 2 peaches. They even will still honor the warranty and all mine were 5 foot. I think the spring price is 20.00 each, but that is 5 foot and they have a lifetime warranty. Easy to return since they are local.

Last edited:
Quote: TNBarnQueen
I had to laugh out loud. Barnqueen, I think you have me confused with Chickennut. I can't grow anything. It would be way more efficient for me to just take any plants I buy and toss them directly into my compost heap. I'd save myself the effort of planting them and watching them die... sigh...

Quote: Grawg
My theory? If I leave them in the ground for five or six years they're really easy-breezy to dig up. It just shows how little I like manual labor that I will step over a stump for that long.

@Nella, those sure are cuties! Right now it's been two weeks since my daughter's cleaned Jazzy's pen, so I'm not even a little tempted right now.
sickbyc.gif

@Stang, I wish I could take credit for Frederick, but you've witnesses first-hand the kind of spazz-matic Ameraucana boys I raise. And my very first rooster?... He was the spawn of satan, with the IQ of a rock. GRRRRR! I hated that stupid bird. This was him before he reached his full terror-inducing size.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom