Eastern Tennessee Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so how does Lavender figure into these?

Would the Lavender replace the Blue?

If you breed lavender to lavender, you get 100% lavender. Lavender is recessive, so if you breed lavender to black, you get birds who look black but carry the lavender gene (Splits, or blacks split to lavender) When you start breeding splits it starts getting really crazy because you can get black, splits, and lavenders.

So, I guess you could sub blue for splits and splash for lavender and use that chart... Right?

Sorry, Barnqueen. Your chart is Greek to me. I like the colored dots one better. For some reason my brain won't wrap around the BB and Bb and all that. Same thing with anything electrical. I just don't get it...

The new super-cooler-bator design with the help of someone that breeds snakes; I have modified it slightly for chicken eggs. Not done yet, but I wanted to share for anyone else thinking of getting into a more advanced design for cooler bators. Takes 72 hours to stabilize temp then holds 0.3 variance

PVC frame, heat tape, wire shelf

Shallow pans for water on top, another pvc frame on top of those

Ceiling light grates on top, 2 fans blowing across top of water pans to circulate both heat and humidity

water pans serve as a heat buffer and thermal mass more than they do for humidity. Fans are circulating warm air more than they are there for humidity.

Proportional digital thermostat not shown because I have not ordered it yet. That will be the biggest expense at between 85 and 110 dollars depending on the model I decide on. holds 6 dozen eggs comfortably with manual turning.
ohh... nice!!

whew... got caught up on the thread. My main computer crashed at our shop- temporarily lost all of my backup for 3 days, my second to oldest daughter fell out of the barn loft and fractured her pelvis bone, had one of my favorite breeder hens die. It certainly has been a week. I have to give praises to God for protecting my daughter Alyssa because the way she fell the ER was surprised she wasn't hurt any worse than the fracture. Good news... we candled eggs from Greenfire and so far... they are looking pretty good.

Well we explained to the chickens that it was going to get cold tonight. Glad I'm indoors.

On a personal note, I joined the gym three weeks ago. I have officially lost 8 pounds. Whoo-hoo!

Well we explained to the chickens that it was going to get cold tonight. Glad I'm indoors.

On a personal note, I joined the gym three weeks ago. I have officially lost 8 pounds. Whoo-hoo!

woot.gif
on your weight loss. I have been really lazy & not working out.

I also tried to explain to my chickens about it turning cold but they were only interested in treats! I think I read somewhere to give them some scratch grains or corn a few hours before going to roost when its going to be cold.

Sounds like your daughter was really lucky, Bearchick! I know she doesn't want to be recuperating over the holidays, but faced with the alternatives...

So, you might have already posted this but my memory is gone. What kind of eggs did Greenfire send you?

Congrats on losing the weight, Itsthelaw. I'm pretty sure I found it! And I haven't even started making Christmas sweets. THAT'S when it gets really bad.

alright, AJ....did your Seramas take to the buckets??? Mine are still refusing to use it. They act like its will eat them if they get close. I have tried to show them and the D'uccle's will use it right in front of them and they stand there wide eyed waiting for it to swallow her. If she moves it...they run. Even my baby silkies are using it, but the Seramas are a no go.
And how did they do in the snow? Mine laid eggs this morning even though it is snowing still. And my little Tilly (Partridge Silkie of 10 weeks) was parked on them. Good Silkie!
thumbsup.gif
Gonna have to get her some fakes to practice on.
wink.png

I hope everyone elses birds did well in the sudden winter weather. And I hope all you folks are having a nice Christmas season. ( And yes, I still say Merry Christmas...hope that doesn't offend anyone)

Congratz on the weight loss, itsthelaw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom