Eastern Tennessee Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
here is a closer picture of the silkie I have. He needs a home soon.

I really think I would love some guineas. But, do I need to build them a separate coop? I figure the neighbors would probably complain, so that's what's been holding me back. Ticks were bad here last year, also. Plus, I have every predator known to man. I have nine acres, and I really would love some guinea eyes helping a rooster.
Thanks for the recommendation on the roosters. I think I might add one Delaware rooster. I do like the look of them. And it is important to have a well behaved rooster. I will not tolerate a problem child. Plus, I'd like to have babies some day. You all are wonderful ! Thanks to all!!!

I had chickens for years before you, and got you started in learning to hatch and care for, but guess you forgot that. no one has to take me on my or should take anyone on their word, but use as references to look stuff up properly on their own. also ive seen you on some of my pure bred threads ect trying to show off or sell pure bred chickens that myself and others have pointed out that were not pure bred. so just because i can not have chickens in my current temp location doesnt mean i should again be closed off from an AREA thread, that you mostly discuss other breeds that are very far from chickens, a lot more so than pigeons.
I also if you read the post, wasnt meaning to advocate feeding raw meat to newbies or anyone who wouldnt ask an actual vet (which i worked for as a vet assistant for over three years), and if it seemed that way, i apologize, as hadnt intended that, but was meaning and stated that feeding "quality" raw diets if given or gotten (dogs that were stock killers), wont make an animal an incurable stock killer. also BARF diets and similar are routinely used and sold to for and by vets and top dog breeders (one being the only top pharoh dog shower and breeder in america, that i knew up north personally). actually youve discussed many situations of your on that your animals could have contracted or allowed spread of giardia, or other diseases, simply by improper water or other conditions, that would be as bad or worse than bad meat to a dog, that most eat poop and anything else they come across. Sorry to post publicly and disturb harmony, but most of you, and some of you who have tact and PMd me privately and discretely either for, or against, get it. also fifty times a day average, ive never counted more than twenty five or thirty, at most, and i was home disabled whole time, but mostly only three to five times a day, that works best when turning manually yourself (three always worked fine for me, especially when was working).

side note: you can if bator goes out, use pigeons to incubate chicken eggs brief or long term. pigeons being easy quieter cleaner keepers as bators in case, are easier to make small separate space/s for, especially if you only want or can keep a few rare expensive show foul and dont want to lose few precious eggs to power outages. They keep the BOPs attention off your chickens too (as when i got pigeons the BOPs stopped bothering all, but maybe peeps). I dont advocate keeping together as chickens can carry illnesses that may not show but might kill quick in pigeons, though pigeons only show and get hit harder by and halfway decently pet pigeons, and mostly even wild ones, dont transmit diseases the way some say, and certainly not as much as song birds or hookbills, . I have had pigeons, game hens and cocks down to chirping still "poults" (slang for indeterminable pullets and cockerels), and muscovy duck, all together with no trouble TEMPORARY, though then separated quickly from most grown cocks and hens, when hens got aggressive and roos started trying to mount or "cover" duckling and pigeon hens.

edited by staff
I would like to state in the nicest way I know how that Terry has worked very very hard to learn what she knows.. You in NO way got Terry started.. Years ago Terry did a very technical science project on the growth of embryo's and bulit her own bator.. And when Terry start in chickens again I was with her when she got her bators... Now I have stated the truth, this is the end of the discussion..

Had to stuff all my young ducks back into my outside brooder, they couldn't handle all the temperature changes. :/

It is so freaking cold, we are totally paying for that week where we had that beautiful 72 degree weather.

Had to stuff all my young ducks back into my outside brooder, they couldn't handle all the temperature changes.
hmm.png

It is so freaking cold, we are totally paying for that week where we had that beautiful 72 degree weather.
I agree totally.

I moved all my OEGB's out of the standing pens. I was scared they would not be able to keep warm with the wire flooring. They are all now snug in the barn, in small runs.

I really hope all we get is some rain.

Bought a bag of chicken scratch today for 10.50 for a 50 pound bag. Thought it was a good price since the other places are 11 and higher. They had a bag of oyster shell crushed for 3.95 before tax. And laying mash for 13 after tax.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom