Eastern Tennessee Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really enjoying my new chickens ... Thx again bairo! The red (named her flatt) eats treats out of my hand & has been an egg a day :) we named the EE Scruggs! I am sure the novelty will wear off but I just love going out to collect the eggs.

I finally have some pic of our tractor! Can't seem to get the pic to upload right so here are the links...

Untitled by amberfiddles, on Flickr
here is the feeder:

Here is the inside...they still aren't using the roost. What should I block off the nest box with?

WOW 30 Post since I was last on here.

@Bairo and Stang Sorry I never take a good picture. I'm always making some face.
tongue.gif

That's ok, that first photo of the 3 of us is a bad angle. BAIRO - NEVER take photos of a woman from the side, they are never flattering if there is a spare tire.
tongue.gif
HEHE! Don't worry, I love the second photo, now it's my photo on facebook. Steven keeps saying things like "why do I look so fat in that photo?" his brother asked if he really liked the Krystal chicks a little too much since we were at a chicken show.
roll.png

WOW 30 Post since I was last on here.

@Bairo and Stang Sorry I never take a good picture. I'm always making some face.
tongue.gif

Quote: Goats and chickens usually get along great. My father in law has "Rufus" with his chickens and they absolutely love each other. I have seen many pics of chickens riding goats around, LOL
It might be easier if you get yourself a killing cone for the chickens. I have tried every way under the sun and ended up going back to an axe, but that can be traumatic watching a chicken run around headless spurting blood everywhere
roll.png

You and stangs DH could get together on their killing day and form an assembly line for all the chickens. That way everybody wins and it is truly nice to have support your first few times. I know they would probably appreciate the help as well.

About the hawk problem, you can get or raise a goose, they will protect your flock from hawks and they kill/eat cooperheads
sickbyc.gif
. I'm wanting 2 myself--just trying to talk hubbie around.
Bairo, filled each opening with triple antibodic, tonight penelope will get saoked in espom salts with a tablespoon of bleach added. The roost is 2'x 2 1/2' (sanded and edges removed from a 2x4) I think, filed smooth and 10 inches off the poo deck which has a ladder. I believe from the size that they have had these before the 3 weeks ago when they were purchased--penny's scab was hanging almost off when we discovered these on saturday. They are on a concrete pad with several inches of flake pine shavings, which is sprinkled with PDZ, and sevin dust, the nest boxes have 3 inches of shavings, De and a sprinkling of fresh lemon balm branches.
Your doing a fine job it sounds like. I did not mean to hint that the bamble came from you guys...just making sure that they dont re-injure themselves trying to heal
big_smile.png

dncarr 09 Wisner farms also teaches you how to do the kill properly as well as the eviseration process. I found that very helpful. They do use pluckers to to do the plucking really cool.I know from where you are it is a bit of a drive but worth the experience.
We are also currently raising some meaties their process date is when it is gonna be very hot middle of July.
barnie.gif
it does take a bit of getting used to process something you have raised & takes a little while before you can eat one but when you do omg the taste is sooo good.
droolin.gif
Now the only chicken we eat is what we have raised. We will be doing 2 batches this year, due to space restaints we can only raise 20 at a time.

Last edited:
dncarr 09 Wisner farms also teaches you how to do the kill properly as well as the eviseration process. I found that very helpful. They do use pluckers to to do the plucking really cool.I know from where you are it is a bit of a drive but worth the experience.
We are also currently raising some meaties their process date is when it is gonna be very hot middle of July.
barnie.gif
it does take a bit of getting used to process something you have raised & takes a little while before you can eat one but when you do omg the taste is sooo good.
droolin.gif
Now the only chicken we eat is what we have raised. We will be doing 2 batches this year, due to space restaints we can only raise 20 at a time.

X3 on Wisner Farms. They are great people. They are totally OK with you watching and helping and will walk you through the process. They are also OK if you run sobbing from the area chanting, "I can't watch, I can't watch!" Ummm... not that I did anything like that...
roll.png

Just popping on for a minute to brag.

Lionhead nationals last weekend.

My smoke pearl doe got Best of Variety Smoke Pearl. My sable point doe got 1st place junior Sable Pt doe.

On sunday, there was a regular show, with over 200 lionheads. My sable point doe got Best of BREED! My Pt white buck got Best Opposite Sex of Variety Pt White.

Great weekend.

Here is the inside...they still aren't using the roost. What should I block off the nest box with?
I would probably just wait a couple weeks.
You will be really hooked by then and want to start on the new shed style coop so you can get another dozen or so birds
cool.png
They can learn to use the roosts when you get that one done
lau.gif
Welcome to chickens.

P.S. Those chickens you have were hit with Ivermectin pour on May 2nd. I was on a 3 round schedule and one valbazen per year. May was early for me because of the chicken show and the young one. I usually go april, june, august with ivermectin pour on and October with Valbazen.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom