Eastern Tennessee Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Grawg...I thought you were trying hen eggs. Your right about duck eggs taking longer. They are also much more sensitive to humidity (need it higher than chicks) as I understand it. My father in law loves ducks also but about threw the incubator across the yard trying to get a good hatch. He refuses to try again..LOL I love incubating eggs, as long as they are chicken eggs
gig.gif

amenfarm;

I wont receive the initial order until about June 25. I want to make certain they work well before I do any for anyone else though since they are a different brand than ones commonly carried by most places.

If they work well without leaking then I can place a big order and have them by the 1st week in July. I can make a 5 gallon bucket with three nipples in it for under thirty dollars though and aquamiser wants 60.00 I almost choked when I saw that.

$60.00, good grief!! I just need the nipples and what size holes to drill--I have the 5 gal buckets. So, tried of shaving in the water. let me know how they work.
Anyone going to have specked sussex pullets for sale soon?

Last edited:
$60.00, good grief!! I just need the nipples and what size holes to drill--I have the 5 gal buckets. So, tried of shaving in the water. let me know how they work.
Anyone going to have specked sussex pullets for sale soon?
Yea I know...60.00 for a 5 gallon bucket and only 3 nipples. I thought it was a joke at first.

It looks like I will be at 3.00 per nipple with shipping and everything, and those are the threaded ones with washers that are supposed to be heavier duty than the push in style. I'll let everyone know if they work well first then you can have as many as you want for 3.00 per. The drill bit size will be 11/32 which is not that common so you might want to start looking for it now.

Hello I'm from Sevierville and I'm trying to improve my flock by adding in some heritage breeds,spice it up a little. So if anyone could help me out that would be great. If not i guess I'm waiting for the county fair.

I have a single pair of German New Hampshires for sale. Had a trio and the hawk got a hen. They are just at a year old now. Hen is laying and a bit "worn out" from the roosters if you know what I mean. I am west of Knoxville, near Loudon County. The remaining pair would be $75 if you were interested. The rooster is show quality and has been shown once before (Reserve of Breed, out of 12 or 14 I think).

Anyone want to help me pluck and gut some chickens?
big_smile.png
I have 19, and I'm ready for them to just go to chicken freezer camp. Had 1 break his wing a couple days ago, butchered him later that day and his whole wing was green so ended up burying him, and then a day ago had one go down and wouldn't walk, he's in the fridge resting... I'm tired of feeding the darn things!!! they're going on 9 weeks I think and just didn't get as big as preferred because feed store didn't have flock raiser half the time, just chick starter (unmed.)
th.gif

Oh, got the pond filled, half-done with the rocks but just added some fish and a couple floating plants... still need more plants for shade though... found a little place not far from the house, it's some old farmer-like people raising tons of plants and some fishies. I only paid $12 for 2 plants and 7-8 fish!

I've got my first hatch! Only one has made it out but I can see 2 or 3 more that have pipped.

So at this point I leave the hatched duckling in the incubator until more have hatched to prevent "shrink wrapping" right?

I've got my first hatch! Only one has made it out but I can see 2 or 3 more that have pipped.

So at this point I leave the hatched duckling in the incubator until more have hatched to prevent "shrink wrapping" right?

Yes! A chick (or duckling) should be able to survive on the goo (best technical term!) that they sucked up before hatching for 2-3 days with no feed. I'd watch the slow-goers, after about 36-48 hours after the first ones start hatching, the rest may shrink wrap anyway... I have had that problem 2 or 3 times now in a row, and I know I've added as much water as possible but just didn't work to prevent it. I wouldn't intervene at all though, the only times I've noticed in time for them to be "rescued" they've always had some reason they weren't zipping and thus had to be put down after taking a lot of time trying to get them to survive.

Congratulations!! Duck eggs are hard. Especially when you are hand turning. I'm impressed.

X2 on leaving the hatchling. It will be fine and will encourage the others to make an appearance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom