Easy to peel FRESH LAID hard boiled eggs!

WthrLady

Enabler
9 Years
Jul 24, 2014
WestOak, Nebraska
Cook them in your pressure cooker!

No more waiting a week or more for your fresh eggs to mellow so you can boil and more easily peel them.

Place the minimum amount of water in your pressure cooker. Put your eggs in the cooker ON a rack or in a steamer basket. (I had neither, so I put wadded foil in the bottom and nestled the eggs into it.) Keep the eggs above the water.

Cook for 6 min on LOW. Allow to come back to pressure naturally. Remove eggs and place in ice water for 15 min.

It's not faster than traditional boiling, but you can do eggs the same day they are laid!

with fresh eggs, add them to water that is already boiling, drop them in with a slotted spoon, 12 min later (for hard boiled) remove them run under cold water and place in an ice bath for 5 min, the shells fall off.

and the best part at just 5 min in the ice bath they are still warm in the center so you can eat a few while peeling the rest.

Last edited:
Finally found the right, current thread for my revelation! <whew>

I have tried just about every possible idea on how to boil eggs for easy peeling, especially fresh eggs. We all raise chickens because we want FRESH eggs, right? Not ones we've had to set aside for 2 weeks to make them easier to peel.

Believe me, I've tried them all. At one point I had 45 dozen eggs in the 'fridge, so I went on an "egg peeling binge", doing 1/2 doz at a time. Tried all the recommendations, including varying the boiling time, starting with cold water, adding salt or vinegar to the water....blah, blah... All the boiled eggs were transferred to a bowl of ice water to chill after cooking, so that was a constant in my experiments.

Then just yesterday I came across the last, greatest and best method I have yet to discover. Steaming! Just like in the OP here, with a variation.
It started out in the OP talking about a pressure cooker. Don't need one. I used a double boiler stainless steel steamer. The source I found used a bamboo steamer so they could load it up with a dozen or more fresh eggs.

Get the water to the point of boiling. Place your eggs in your steamer.
Steam the eggs for 20 minutes.
Lift out the eggs with tongs and put them in a bowl of iced water.
Let them cool until they are cold to the touch, and you are able to handle them for peeling.
Roll the egg on its side to loosen the internal membranes.
Crack the big end of the egg, and start peeling.

All these day old eggs I did last night peeled perfectly! The peel would come off in a continuous strip most of the time, like peeling an apple.

After all these years, I've found my new method, free of picking, running under water, cussing, or ending up with egg salad when I wanted deviled eggs.

Try it...you'll like it!

. Some use spoons and some lick bowls. LOL
Your above line just brought me a "Déjà Vu"

Many many many years ago when I was a lil snipe, I ran home from school just to find my mother making a cake.. The cinnamon and honey smells filled the air.. I yelled out " mommy, can I lick the bowl???" She replied softly,................... No son, flush it like everyone else does.
gig.gif
lau.gif
celebrate.gif

Don't forget that soak in ice water!!!!

for some reason one 'cracked' while steaming!!

cracked or not, it pealed easy enough after a dip in the ice bath.

while not like pealing an apple, 5 of 6 pealed with ease.

however one of them was 'Stuck Like Glue'

20 min was perfect timing, firm yolk without overcooking (sorry didn't take a pic of the yolk before they disappeared), i'd say it was enough of a success that i'd be willing to give it a try again and see if i have better results.

i didn't steam them, just used my previously posted way on some quail eggs straight out of the hens today
............Now...if only the freshest ones peel...too. May have a bunch of uggly pickled eggs?

i didn't steam them as i had no idea on time frame so i used my previously posted procedure on quail eggs straight out of the hens today for pickled eggs, added to boiling water for 5 min, into an ice bath for 5 min and 45 min later i had 125 perfectly pealed eggs ready for the brine eggs!!

I realize my "Boiled" Egg report is pretty mundane and boring:

Just wanted to say that I did a "semi-scientific" (is there such a thing...Not?) test, by simultaneously steaming & boiling some of my bantam eggs this afternoon.
I set up two pans. One with a steamer rack, and the other, a pot for plain ol' boiling water. I divided my little eggs to include eggs laid yesterday, and two laid within hours today (super-fresh?). I pickled the results of both experiments in one quart jar.

Steamed an almost-equal portion of the eggs (13 eggs in single layer) for 15 minutes. I did not add the steamer tray until the water was under full boil. Added the other 12 eggs to rapidly-boiling water for 12 minutes (but I did turn off burner after 10 minutes. Heavy pot was able to keep conducting the heat).

With both scenarios, I had two ice-water baths ready to go. Much ice, little water. Stirred all eggs around in their icy confines a couple times, as I cleaned the pans.....6-7 minutes. Peeled both batches, partially "dunking" them in the same ice water bath, after cracking the large end of each egg, and rolling it briefly across a small part of the granite counter to loosen the shell membranes.

Took two "random scientific samples" from each batch to cut in half. In both cases, the yolks were very nicely done. No hard "dense rocks" for "centers", and no "over-cooked green/grey ring" around the yolks. Oddly, I thought the steamed eggs tasted a bit superior to the boiled ones. More flavor, but hard to describe. Please remember, the sampling was pretty small?

There was one egg that was somewhat difficult to peel, likely one of the two ultra-fresh-two-hour Nest Fruits? Very small air space present at the "top" of the egg. The egg was among the steamed groupies, but otherwise the steamed batch o'eggs seemed a tiny-bit easier to peel that the "ladled-into-boiling-water groupies. I was impressed by BOTH methods for cooking fresh eggs.

Once plunked into a sterilized quart jar....(four Brothers got left behind...only could fit 21 eggs in a quart)

Thanks,...All. Looking forward, to the results. Pickled Hen Berries....

I have Zero idea, as to how my adaptation of a well-known pickled-egg recipe will turn out. I blessed 'All", when put in the fridge.

Great little chickens. Hopefully, I didn't destroy their offerings.......

Back
Top Bottom