Easy to peel FRESH LAID hard boiled eggs!

WthrLady

Enabler
9 Years
Jul 24, 2014
WestOak, Nebraska
Cook them in your pressure cooker!

No more waiting a week or more for your fresh eggs to mellow so you can boil and more easily peel them.

Place the minimum amount of water in your pressure cooker. Put your eggs in the cooker ON a rack or in a steamer basket. (I had neither, so I put wadded foil in the bottom and nestled the eggs into it.) Keep the eggs above the water.

Cook for 6 min on LOW. Allow to come back to pressure naturally. Remove eggs and place in ice water for 15 min.

It's not faster than traditional boiling, but you can do eggs the same day they are laid!

I believe the secret lies in the 15 minute chilling process after cooking. Try it and see. Worst part for me is I like my boiled eggs warm. Second part, is I like my boiled eggs soft boiled at 3 minutes. When I was a little snipe, my mother would serve me eggs soft and just the top peeled back. Ate the egg with a teaspoon scooped out. NO WASTE of egg sticking to shell.
idunno.gif

with fresh eggs, add them to water that is already boiling, drop them in with a slotted spoon, 12 min later (for hard boiled) remove them run under cold water and place in an ice bath for 5 min, the shells fall off.

and the best part at just 5 min in the ice bath they are still warm in the center so you can eat a few while peeling the rest.

Last edited:
Is there a difference with different types of chickens? I've never in my life had a problem peeling hard-boiled eggs until I got the girls I have now. I read not to use fresh eggs, so I left some for a while before boiling them. Same deal, it's like the membrane is glued on.

I had also read to steam them, which is basically what's happening in the pressure cooker, so I might give it a go, thanks for the tip. (The downside is that I want to do a lot at a time, and the pressure cooker isn't as big as a regular pot. I'll have to see how many I can fit in there)

I def. agree with the prev. posts. I was having the same problem with peeling the eggs so I went online and found a youtube video that showed how to get easy peel eggs no matter how old. It was just ast JetCat stated with adding them to already boiling water and then after (for me) 8 min of cooking right into ice cold water. I leave them in the pot they cooked in, empty out the hot water add cold water then take a big pitcher fill it with ice and dump it in with the eggs and let in sit anywhere from 10-15 min. Haven't had a problem since!! Also I have 4 diff. breeds and it has never made any difference.

Last edited:
My process is similar, I inserted the eggs into boiling water for 12 min. Then scoop them into a container/bowl with cold water and wait about 2 min. I dump out the now luke warm water and refill with cold water. About a minute later i take out first egg crack it and peel in the water. Repeat peeling under water in container/bowl and no eggs crack and shell is easy removed. Best is - the cleanup is easy since all shell is in the container/bowl.

But you can't eat poached cold later on, or put them in sandwiches and they are no good for making pickled eggs. Sometimes, you just gotta have boiled eggs.
Why not?
I can see preferring hard boiled for pickling, but you can still put a poached egg in a zip lock and eat it later.
You can still chop it up for egg salad. The only thing you can't do is make a good looking deviled egg.

Back
Top Bottom