Ecuador - moving info

my mom said that chickens are very cheap over there and IMO I would rehome them and with the money saved from not paying those fees I would use it to get new chickens and stuff for them.
I'm very attached to them. So I wont go without them. I've spent a lot of time there some I'm familiar. But these are my pets. If only it was as easy as a dog or cat.

But thank you for checking. I truly appreciate it 😊

How many chickens are we talking about? I think it might be doable (with lots of paperwork) if there are only 2-4. I don’t really think it’s possible with any more than that.

I am glad you have familiarized yourself with how things are in Ecuador. Hope that includes Spanish!

Chicken raising down here is a little different that what you are probably accustomed to.

Warning: If anything were ever to happen to one of your pet chickens, like a vehicle running it over or a dog getting it, it will be very hard to get ANY compensation. If you get any compensation, it will only be $5 to 15, or the food value of the chicken.

These countries aren’t lawyered up and don’t have the pet culture that the US or European countries have.

“Sully’s Street Dog Dinners” is an example of how expats take the local dogs and cats under their wings in Ecuador. Expats often take interest in spay/neuter so there are fewer unwanted and unloved animals on the streets. Expats who have a little extra to contribute help a lot with the stray dog problem in Ecuador. They help cats, too!

In Latin America, most people see chickens as a source of eggs or occasional sancocho (chicken and plantain soup). Imagine how it was in the US in the 1920s. People loved their chickens, but they also ate them sometimes.

When I came to this farm, there were around 10 chickens. After some losses from neighbors’ dogs, the flock never grew the way I wanted it to. Although I demanded compensation (fair market value, not pet value), I never got paid for the birds I lost due to the dog that “La Gorda” was taking care of.

In order to have a good flock, we had to invest quite a bit of money in building a secure run. This run could never be built in the United States (too expensive to permit), but was more affordable in Latin America.

I think in terms of an overall flock, rather than developing too much of an attachment to any particular chicken. After building the secure run, my chickens have really got into the mood and have provided with lots of chicks!

This viewpoint is perhaps a little bit more “jaded” than yours, but it’s also a way to live in harmony with the local culture.

If you see a particular chicken as a beloved pet, I am afraid that you could be heartbroken if something were ever to happen to that particular chicken.

As a warning, whoever your neighbors will be in Ecuador probably will see chickens as replaceable. Good chickens like blue egg layers actually aren’t cheap, but everyone knows someone who has some.

A couple years ago, “La Gorda” moved, actually closer to me. That was an “oh no!” moment... Fortunately, she no longer had the chicken-destroying dog, which belonged to someone else.

One day, I saw a beautiful rooster of a game breed wandering around nearby. The rooster had a spectacular tail. I asked my neighbor to whom it belonged. I could not believe it, but the rooster belonged to “La Gorda.”

The person I saw as a chicken hater actually liked chickens, but is a bit irresponsible toward the vecis (neighbors). Needless to say, this is not a friend.

This is very typical down here. One makes friends with responsible and honest people....

Last edited:
I'm very attached to them. So I wont go without them. I've spent a lot of time there some I'm familiar. But these are my pets. If only it was as easy as a dog or cat.

But thank you for checking. I truly appreciate it 😊
Hi there

Hoping you will receive this email. Did you manage to get this sorted and move to a country in South America? We are wanting to move there with our chickens too, who are also members of our family.

Ecuador is top choice but keen on a fair few countries in South America and very open to suggestions.

Any help would be appreciated - email / contact numbers for the relevant people we should speak to. Step by step guide would be good too.

In addition, does anyone have any experience of being denied entry with chickens or having them confiscated / killed?

Thank you

Hi,

Not sure if this is the correct place for this post.

I wanted to know about anyone who may have traveled/relocated their chickens to south America. Not sure how many of you there are, if any. I might be the only one trying to do something so nutsy. (Please spare me the lecture on relocating my flock)

I have been trying to move for almost a year now. I finally received confirmation from AACargo (american airlines). They specialize in shipping pets.

They reached out to the Guayaquil Airport and also received confirmation. They sent me information and some links for to follow up with. I had a local friend write to the local Agrocenter to follow through on that end. And I've hit a road block.

It has been made clear that my chickens will not be treated like pets (that's ok.) But since they are farm animals that I would need a permit to import them. (Also ok.)

Now here is where I'm struggling - there is no real physical information that I have found about importing my chickens (at least not from Ecuador's side). I've found a few things on the US APHIS site that has lead me to info but nothing concrete to confirm they wont be denied entry on arrival.

Several people have told my friend that they cannot come to the country. But I'm under the impression that they are thinking about airplanes and they are just guessing generally or sourcing their info from airplane guidelines. Which I already know, hence the cargo company and hence them specifically checking locally.

I'm confused why I was told to get a permit but now i cant find that info anywhere.

I am confused why the cargo company said they received confirmation that it is allowed to import the chickens and why the opposite end is lacking solid evidence to prove this or otherwise disprove it.

Also, I have emailed on more than one occasion but no response from any of the places I've emailed (and it was in spanish)

It's a long shot but does anyone know anything about importing livestock to Ecuador. Or has anyone done it with surrounding countries?

I will not go anywhere without my chickens but I desperately need real answers so I can make important life decisions.

Thanks. Hopefully I'll hear something s
Hi,

Not sure if this is the correct place for this post.

I wanted to know about anyone who may have traveled/relocated their chickens to south America. Not sure how many of you there are, if any. I might be the only one trying to do something so nutsy. (Please spare me the lecture on relocating my flock)

I have been trying to move for almost a year now. I finally received confirmation from AACargo (american airlines). They specialize in shipping pets.

They reached out to the Guayaquil Airport and also received confirmation. They sent me information and some links for to follow up with. I had a local friend write to the local Agrocenter to follow through on that end. And I've hit a road block.

It has been made clear that my chickens will not be treated like pets (that's ok.) But since they are farm animals that I would need a permit to import them. (Also ok.)

Now here is where I'm struggling - there is no real physical information that I have found about importing my chickens (at least not from Ecuador's side). I've found a few things on the US APHIS site that has lead me to info but nothing concrete to confirm they wont be denied entry on arrival.

Several people have told my friend that they cannot come to the country. But I'm under the impression that they are thinking about airplanes and they are just guessing generally or sourcing their info from airplane guidelines. Which I already know, hence the cargo company and hence them specifically checking locally.

I'm confused why I was told to get a permit but now i cant find that info anywhere.

I am confused why the cargo company said they received confirmation that it is allowed to import the chickens and why the opposite end is lacking solid evidence to prove this or otherwise disprove it.

Also, I have emailed on more than one occasion but no response from any of the places I've emailed (and it was in spanish)

It's a long shot but does anyone know anything about importing livestock to Ecuador. Or has anyone done it with surrounding countries?

I will not go anywhere without my chickens but I desperately need real answers so I can make important life decisions.

Thanks. Hopefully I'll hear something soon.
Hi,
Any update on what happened? It's now almost 2024 & I'm thinking about moving to Ecuador. I have 2 geese that I'm very attached to and wondering how difficult it would be to take them with me.

Back
Top Bottom