Edmond Oklahoma

clandestinechix

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 3, 2013
With the recent change in law in Norman Oklahoma to allow Urban Chickens I am looking for like minded people to help change the laws in Edmond. I am building a cladestine chicken coop on my ACERAGE which is illegal in the city limits of Edmond Oklahoma. Even though I can have horses ....I CANNOT raise even a small amount of chickens.

If anyone else out there in my neck of the woods is interested in working together to get the goverment out of our business, please let me know! Powers in numbers, peeps!

I would like to help change the law in Edmond, getting chickens this weekend, and looking for a little piece of someones farm where I can raise them and grow a garden.

We go our hens last Saturday. I have talked with so many people and get a different answer everytime as to legality. One women I talked to was worked for the Edmond Police Department who raises hens and told me they were legal as long as they were more than 25 yards from your neighbor's house and you don't own a rooster. My girls are an absolute delight! Laying an egg everyday and providing endless hours of entertainment. They are a heck of a lot quieter than my neighbor's barking dog, also! Secret Chicken Owners Unite!

I agree we should voice our concerns to get rid of this law. My children were shown at their school the entire life cycle of eggs, from hatching into small chicks to when they grow up to be few weeks old, to when they were given away to a farm. After having gone through this experience, we now want our own and were trying to find a place where we can buy them and I stumbled upon this page. This is a ridiculous law. We can have horses in our acreage but not chicken. What is our next step? I can't wait to get the chicks.

We have wanted chickens for a long time now. About a year ago, we bought all the stuff needed to have chickens- brooder, coop, run, feeders, food all of it. We kept the coop outside with NO chickens in it. We didn't even buy or order them yet! Our nosy neighbors had seen the coop and called code enforcement. Such a surprise to have an Code Enforcement officer knock on your door and start talking about how our neighbors called in a noise complaint that sounded like a rooster-- coming from where? Our backyard. We didn't even own chickens! We told the Code Enforcement officer that we did not own any chickens-- Or roosters. He insisted that he look through our house for chickens like we were hiding them! He saw that we didn't have any. I am wanting chickens so badly but money is an issue for our family. Wish we hadn't taken the stuff back, but the Code Enforcement officer made us. Gosh!

I have kept 4 hens from the chicks we got in the spring, they have just started laying eggs, they are small chickens, but are rather loud when they lay an egg, so far the neighbors have not said anything, most all of the closest neighbors are aware but do not mind at all. I guess we will see if the code enforcer shows up, there is really no way to keep them from doing their egg song that i know of, considering lining the coop with egg cartons to sound proof a little!

I have four ducks, and I did not know that there was such laws. Do they apply to ducks as well? My ducks can get pretty noisy sometimes, but my neighbors haven't said anything. There's also not a lot of distance between my neighbors yards and mine since I live in a small community neighborhood.

Back
Top Bottom