Hen or Rooster?

• Hen

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Rooster

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • Not sure.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I see 4 roos in the second pic inc the one you questioned, the one on the far left in this pic plus the one on the far right are the only hens I can see.
Yes, that's what I'm starting to think as well. I started out with 12 chicks and it looks like I'll only have 4 hens. I am not good at picking out the ladies.

Since EEs are just a mutt, they come in any colour and have legs any colour. Most of the time they are green or slate, but can be yellow as well. Since there is a beard, it has a pea comb, and the colour is very common for EEs, it is an Easter Egger.

Thank you for clearing that up for me!

Thank you for clearing that up for me!
No problem :) but you are right, they do 'usually' have green legs. Which is usually because they come from some Ameraucana and are often mixed with a non-coloured laying bird (with yellow legs) yellow + slate = green for the most part.

I have 5 EE's and two have slate legs, three have greenish coloured legs. None have yellow, but that doesn't mean there aren't others who have yellow legged EEs.

Can you show us which ones you think are ladies besides those two?
Sure, below are my other "ladies" (or so I hope).

This is my oldest. A 24 week old Brahma. I call her Bella.

The dark one in the middle/right is a 15/16 week old Barred Rock I call Roxie.
The red one in the back/left is a 15/16 week old Rhode Island Red I call Chicken Little.

Chicken Little is on the front left in this pic.

Chicken Little is in the middle/front of this pic.

The one in front is Roxie.

Roxie is on the right in this one.

Roxie is on the left in this one.

The grey one in the back/middle is a 21 week old EE I call Lucy.

Lucy is on the right in this picture.

Lucy is in the back on this one.

Lucy is on the far left in this one.

Really? Bella is a boy? Oh no! How can you tell? I didn't see any of the long tail feathers or the really thin pointy saddle feathers. Am I missing something obvious? Sorry, I'm just new to all of this.

Really?  Bella is a boy?  Oh no!  How can you tell?  I didn't see any of the long tail feathers or the really thin pointy saddle feathers.  Am I missing something obvious?  Sorry, I'm just new to all of this.
Okay so for the dark brahma breed, the boys are a totally different colour than the girls.

Here is a hen:

and here is a roo:

But besides that, there are pointed saddle feathers from what I can see.

From what I've seen, Bella is definitely a rooster. Iridescent green upright tail feathers, mostly black chest with spotty white and red on the shoulders. Pointed hackle feathers. There's no questioning here. Females are just not colored/set up that way. One of your reddish chickens also looks like a rooster. The others all look female.

Back
Top Bottom