Egg binding or what is it....?!

Salty Cookie

Chirping
Apr 10, 2020
My three-year-old ISA brown hen has been unwell for over a week now. I first thought she had water belly. Then in the past four days, her crop gets filled with fluid and she throws up all the fluid (it is clear brownish liquid without much smell. It is not sour smell but more like yeast-ish smell) with me assisting her to throw up by giving her a massage on the crop. I was doing it once a day then did it twice yesterday. Her belly does have fluid, but I think I feel an egg floating in the liquid. I googled all morning, and if it is egg binding, then it should be somewhere in oviduct is what I read. She poops small amount at a time. I really don't understand why I feel an egg in her belly. I am thinking of doing the procedure to treat her as egg binding (apply KY jelly and feel inside, give her Tums, and then give her an epsom salt bath.) But I am wondering if anyone has had a hen like mine and know what it is really... My husband says we should cull her, but she is my daughter's pet hen and she doesn't want us to. So I am trying to do what I can do.

You could be feeling her gizzard or a lash egg in the abdomen, or something else. Hard to know without an expensive xray. Can you insert a clean or gloved finger into her bpvent to feel for an egg? Try giving her a human calcium citrate 600 mg tablet with vitamin D orally into her beak, which could help her pass an egg. She might have a reproductive infection or disorder which is causing pressure leading to her crop not emptying. Making her empty her crop can be dangerous if she choke on the material. Try some chilled coconut oil cut into small pieces, and offer her a tsp of them once or twice a day. Monistat cream twice a day cannbe given orally to use for sour crop. What color is her poop? Here is some info about crop problems:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

You could be feeling her gizzard or a lash egg in the abdomen, or something else. Hard to know without an expensive xray. Can you insert a clean or gloved finger into her bpvent to feel for an egg? Try giving her a human calcium citrate 600 mg tablet with vitamin D orally into her beak, which could help her pass an egg. She might have a reproductive infection or disorder which is causing pressure leading to her crop not emptying. Making her empty her crop can be dangerous if she choke on the material. Try some chilled coconut oil cut into small pieces, and offer her a tsp of them once or twice a day. Monistat cream twice a day cannbe given orally to use for sour crop. What color is her poop? Here is some info about crop problems:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
Thank you so much! I haven't checked if it is an egg... I touched under her belly and it feels like an egg but could be her gizzard??? but it is not really the area it should be... I didn't have time to insert and search for an egg today. I will do it tomorrow. I just gave her a bit of coconut oil, molasses, oregano oil, vitamin D and Vitamin C with calcium (which I take daily) and a bit of amoxicillin just in case if she has got infection going. Her poop is yellowish-cream colour with greenish stuff, but she hasn't pooped much as she hasn't eaten much.

Hi. So I checked her inside but I didn't feel anything like an egg. But about an 1.5 - 2 inches lower from the vent, I feel a round think floating. It has been over a week and she is still dropping poops, so I really doubt it is egg bound... It is really round, could be a lash egg... I gave her Tums ultra 1000 with water and vitamin D, then I gave her a 30 minutes epsom salt bath. Nothing happened. Her crop has stopped filling up. Her comb colour is not really great... 1/3 of the comb is dark purple. She is resting now. I will let you know how it goes later again. Thank you.

Hi again... The sick hen, Melon, got taken by a bald eagle this afternoon while I was gone shopping and my dogs were in the house. I saw the eagle flying away with her when I got home. I saw a lot of feathers, pieces of meat and bones on the ground. I think it got into the chicken garden and was eating her but it flew away with her when it saw me. Anyway, I found a lash egg and a cracked thin egg shell. So she had no hope.... My daughter is sad that she couldn't say goodbye to her, but she is taking it well. I think it is the same eagle that tried to take one of my ducks and injured her last week. Both times my dogs (Border Collie x English shepherd) were in the house, so I am going to keep the dogs outside during the day from now on.

Attachments

• lash egg.jpeg
    lash egg.jpeg
    651.7 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom