Egg bound and prolapse, cut out egg, need help finishing

keep the exposed tissue clean and moist with honey, anti-inflammatory ointment, etc. so it doesn't dry out.
Yes, I’ve been syringing fluids in her, but I’m sure it’s not enough.
I tried to gently put it back the night I got the egg out, but she immediately pushed it out. Now too much of the tissue is dead, so I’m hoping it will dry up and fall of, like an umbilical cord.
I did offer her egg but she had no interest 😢 But that was two says ago. I haven’t been pushing the food because she has such a hard time eliminating, but I’m going to make sure she gets water today.
It does not work that way, the exposed tissue is part of her oviduct/intestines - that needs to be kept moist with cream, honey, etc. You do not want it to dry out. You want that to be flexible so it can be pushed back in and her retain it.

Her not eating or drinking at all is not a good sign. Have you considered giving antibiotics to fight infection?

It does not work that way, the exposed tissue is part of her oviduct/intestines - that needs to be kept moist with cream, honey, etc. You do not want it to dry out. You want that to be flexible so it can be pushed back in and her retain it.

Her not eating or drinking at all is not a good sign. Have you considered giving antibiotics to fight infection?

I did want to give her antibiotics, but my local Tractor Supply didn’t have any poultry penicillin and I had read you shouldn’t use off-label bovine or sheep antibiotics.
I can call my feed store today to see what they have.

Letting it dry out was based off a YouTube video I found the night I removed the egg. I will link it below. What you see with her hen is nearly identical to what I have going on here with S’more.

I did want to give her antibiotics, but my local Tractor Supply didn’t have any poultry penicillin and I had read you shouldn’t use off-label bovine or sheep antibiotics.
I can call my feed store today to see what they have.

Letting it dry out was based off a YouTube video I found the night I removed the egg. I will link it below. What you see with her hen is nearly identical to what I have going on here with S’more.

You can find Amoxicillin here.
https://www.jedds.com/shop/fishmox/

🤷‍♀️ Ah o.k. well, it looks like you found some instructions to follow. Hopefully she will begin to improve!

You can find Amoxicillin here.
https://www.jedds.com/shop/fishmox/

🤷‍♀️ Ah o.k. well, it looks like you found some instructions to follow. Hopefully she will begin to improve!

Thank you so much.
Good news: she’s eating and FINALLY drinking. She was very hungry after her soak. I cleaned up her bum, trimmed feathers, gave her a blow dry and offered her food and she was very hungry. She would have eaten more, but I want to limit her food until she can pass normal poo. It still mostly oozes out.

And she finally drank water on her own accord, so double yay. After her meal she spent a good bit of time preening and now she’s resting again in her crate.

I guess we’ll see as far as it “healing” which in this case is more along the lines of drying up and falling off. I’m hoping we have a good outcome, like the woman in the video.

Pic is of her bum before I cleaned it up, so it’s looking better, but still kinda nasty. I trimmed feathers and got all the white elimination off her, but the actual prolapse looks much the same.

Actually, this is after I trimmed and cleaned. I forgot I taken a picture here.

It is really ugly, but it doesn’t seem to cause her pain, she is passing feces, and it doesn’t smell. So I’m going to take all of that, along with her appetite and alertness, as good signs and hope for the best.
0CD486DC-2826-47D6-AB48-0049462C7448.jpeg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom