Egg Eater!!!

rainlips

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 29, 2013
Northern michigan
I caught one of my hens chi wing down on an egg this morning! I'm so bummed cause she lays pretty green eggs! I'm not sure if I should wait it out and hope she stops or just make her dinner :-(
I knew someone was eating them but I was really hopping that it was an older hen....

They usually don't stop on their own once they have gotten into the habit, sounds like yours has been doing it for awhile? The Learning Center has a good article on breaking them, following the steps they suggest and using the Pinless Peepers, they really do seem to work if you have a stubborn hen you really don't want to get rid of. https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/six-tips-on-breaking-your-egg-eater

If you happen to have a cracked egg in the nest box, a hen will eat it whether or not she's a regular egg eater or not. If you can tell that the hen is actually cracking good eggs and eating them herself, yes I would get rid of her but IMO I wouldn't get rid of her for one incident.

It's been happening for a while I just hadn't caught the "cracker"
Well this morning she was the one that pushed the egg out of the box and broke it open, and had brunch...of course a few others joined it..
I've been missing 4-5 eggs a day. It's been really cold here so I thought they just slowed down... Now I'm wondering!

Back
Top Bottom