Egg Peritonitis - how long before I end her suffering? Not a miracle chicken afterall :(

I hope she is a miracle chicken and that whatever was ailing her is gone. I don't want to be a buzz kill, but I have noticed that sometimes a terminally sick animal will start eating, drinking and acting normal shortly before death, so try not to get your hopes up too much (maybe Folly's place can comment on why this happens. That said, there have been quite a few like you that have had sick birds get 100% better, and I hope your girl is getting better, cause I know all too well how stressful it can be when they're sick.

-Kathy
X2 but hope she is recovering.
fl.gif

I hope she is a miracle chicken and that whatever was ailing her is gone. I don't want to be a buzz kill, but I have noticed that sometimes a terminally sick animal will start eating, drinking and acting normal shortly before death, so try not to get your hopes up too much (maybe Folly's place can comment on why this happens. That said, there have been quite a few like you that have had sick birds get 100% better, and I hope your girl is getting better, cause I know all too well how stressful it can be when they're sick.

-Kathy

X2.

MrsB

She wandered down to the coop which is several hundred yards away from the house. She sat in front of the run door and waited. I picked her up and put her in the coop. I hope I'm doing the right thing and not infecting the rest of my flock. She's very puffed out but I think it's her feathers and not fluid build up - except her abdomen, that is still distended a bit.

Her vent is still clear without obstruction. She is still eliminating yellow or clear liquid. No more blood since this morning. She clucked and cood at me when I picked her up. Tail is still up, but she is slow and her comb is ashen.

Trying not to get my hopes up and still fearful for the rest of my birds. On top of this, I have two wounded in my basement from my beagles attacking - a third is already back in the coop and these two are so severely wounded I have them bandaged and on antibiotics. A very stressful week.

I have had to euthanise three birds with EYP. The first time I tried to convince myself she would get better, and I let her hang around for almost 2 weeks in the 'sick bay' before the inevitable had to be faced. The second and third times I made the decision much more quickly. Looking back I regret having waited so long the first time, but I was hoping that I was wrong, and that I would see an improvement, although I now realise that it was never going to happen.

However, every case is different and a lot depends upon the bird itself. The last girl I had to euthanise showed signs of EYP for several months, but just after I spotted it she was full of energy, eating well, pooping a bit weirdly at the beginning but it settled down and even though she was swollen in the rear end and waddled when she walked, she was happy to be bumbling around with the others, so I left her alone. She had several more months of happy chicken life, and it was only when she started to sit down most of the time, lose her appetite and be lethargic I took the decision within 48 hours, whilst the second girl with EYP went downhill rapidly - only a few days between onset of symptoms and the final decision.

However you choose to treat your girl, it will be the right thing for you to do - only you can really appreciate and understand exactly what your bird and yourself are going through, and the decision is ultimately yours to make. We can all offer our opinons and advice, but none of us are there with you and therefore we can't really know exactly what your situation is.

I wish you all the best - know that my thoughts and support are with you, whatever you decide to do for your girl.
hugs.gif

Please keep in mind that sick birds act healthy and normal as long as possible. It doesn't pay for a chicken to act unwell, and it's hardwired into them to hide signs of illness. Whatever is wrong, she must feel pretty rotten to be obvious about it. I hope she recovers too, but prolonged suffering isn't a good thing. Many different problems are possible here, mostly untreatable. Mary

-Kathy
I thought about this, the last burst of energy. What ever it was, it was obvious to me she wanted to be "home" in the coop and not in a box in my basement. I'm glad I let her walk home. About 10AM this morning she passed away with all her sisters around her. I think it's the way she intended.

Back
Top Bottom