Egg Prices

I charge $3.00 a dozen. Advertising is by word of mouth, at my work location. I have a whopping four regular customers. But now and then two others will ask for some eggs (to buy).

The only marketing device is this label:
41679_egglabel.jpg

And I do give a six pack free to prospective customers as a teaser.

I wouldnt change the price. Its fair compaired to the $4.50 for organic I just saw at the market. I however, am not in the egg business and just prefer giving them away vs. selling.
6 RIR's

I get 3$ a dozen and I cant produce enough for my cutomers-its first come first serve-theres a lady at work that sells them for 1.50 a doz AND another that sells for 2$ a doz-they sell theirs too-but those hens are all cooped up -no treats and the eggs are dirty
sickbyc.gif
so I stand my ground on my price-besides food has gone up 2$ a bag

Quote:
Organic feed for one........... Don't know much about his operation, but you'd be hard pressed to find a nicer large brown egg that the Golden Comet produces.......... JMHO......

Organic feed does not guarantee "better" egg quality. What about your feed program improves egg quality?

What is "nicer" about a Golden Comet egg?

You don't have to answer these questions here, but give them some thought and think critically about the answers you give yourself. If you cannot explain, in objective -- rather than subjective -- terms why your egg quality is better than his why would local consumers be any different? If YOU don't know what makes your eggs better, they most certainly won't. And very few people are willing to pay more for something they don't perceive as better quality.

Not sure if I'm being "objective" or "subjective", but here goes......
I KNOW what makes my eggs better.............fresh (as in having only 6 hens), free range, organic feed, & the best of care for my hens. Unfortunately, the average consumer looks at the price and little else......... Some folks just don't get it!

My Golden Comets lay a large brown egg with a deep yellow yolk, compared to my competitor, that makes them "nicer"!

I sell mine for 2.00 a dozen but thats the going rate around here. We live in an area where if your prices are too high they wont buy, but I sell most of mine to people I work with and have more customers than eggs. I'll be glad when all mine start to lay then I'll be able to provide everyone with eggs. This is my label
62756_egglabel.jpg

Last edited:
In marketing, there is a break point at which a consumer will switch to a different product, a different provider or do without. This is true for all products. Competition has the most influence on the break point. If you are the only provider of a product that is in demand, you get to set your price. If you are one provider of many, not so much. It is not that folks don't get it so much as they do get it. The nutritional value does not differ greatly from one egg to the next. If the majority of your eggs go into an omelet or a cake mix, the shell and flavor are less important. I do not buy organic hotdogs when I can get store brand dogs that are made from the same meat. I really do not want to talk about all the rat lips that go into hotdogs cause I don't care. Flavor & price drive my choice. Same for eggs for most folks.

I stopped at a corner convenience store for gas one day and they were selling eggs for .75 a dozen. I bought a dozen cause I figured the girls would like them. I came home and did the float test and sure enough, they were old, but they made for a cheap chicken treat and the store had no trounle selling them at that price.

I do not sell my eggs, not certified or inspected YET! I do not know how to get one anyway so I CAN sell my eggs for eating consumption.

I live in so-cal so prices might be a little skewed. But we don't have a lot of access tonfarm eggs either! At the local market they charge $4.25/dozen and $4.50/dozen for organic cagefree at the grocery store. From here $3 seems like a bargain
smile.png

Do you have to get certified to sell eggs if you just sell them from home??

My girls are only 14 wks...can't wait to start getting eggs!!

Back
Top Bottom