Egg Sellers--How's Your Business?

What a great thread! I just read it all and now maybe I can answer the question everyone is asking me, "What are you going to do with 30 chickens?"

What I am doing right now is teaching my grandchildren some good old fashioned values. One of my 2 year-old grandson's first words was "work" as he went out the door prepared to help me. My 9 year-old granddaughter will put the chickens in at night (without even asking for help) when I am late getting home. She is determined to keep them safe.

I had thought of selling eggs and hatching chicks as well. I believe I could sell the chicks and even supply some to the local feed store. Maybe get less for them, but no packaging worries and only a 1 mile drive.

Thanks to all of you for your great ideas.

As far as eggs selling goes; everyone like family, friends and co-workers are excited at first, then the novelty wears off. I have a few steadys at work but you might try your local Amish Foods store or farmer's market to expand your audience.

Quote:
There are some better ways to freeze eggs: http://whatscookingamerica.net/Eggs/FreezingEgg.htm

Eggs can be frozen, but not in the shell. It's best to freeze eggs in small quantities so you can thaw only what you need. An easy way to do this is to put them in an ice cube tray. Once frozen, transfer them to a freezer container and label.

As with any frozen food, it is best to thaw eggs in the refrigerator and use them as soon as they are thawed. Only use thawed eggs in dishes that will be thoroughly cooked.

Following are some easy instructions for freezing eggs:

Whole Eggs: To freeze whole eggs or yolks crack them into a bowl and gently stir to break up the yolk somewhat. Try not to incorporate air into the eggs. Label the container with the date and the number of eggs. They can be kept frozen for a year, and should be thawed in the refrigerator the day before you intend to use them.

Egg Yolks: To inhibit yolks from getting lumpy during storage, stir in a 1/2-teaspoon salt per 1-cup of egg or yolks. If using for desserts, use 1-tablespoon sugar or corn syrup per 1-cup yolks or whole eggs. Label the container with the date and the number of egg yolks. Use up extra egg yolks in recipes like sauces, custards, ice cream, yellow cakes, mayonnaise, scrambled eggs, and cooked puddings.

Egg Whites: Raw egg whites do not suffer from freezing (cooked egg whites are very rubbery). No salt or sugar is needed. Break and separate the eggs one at a time, making sure that no yolk gets into the whites. Pour into trays and freeze until firm. Label the container with the date and the number of egg whites. Use up extra egg whites in boiled frostings (i.e., 7-minute frosting), meringue cookies, angel food cake, white cakes, or meringue for pies.

Hard-Cook Egg Yolks: Hard-cooked egg yolks can be frozen to use later for toppings or garnishes. Carefully place the yolks in a single layer in a saucepan and add enough water to come at least I inch above the yolks. Cover and quickly bring just to boiling. Remove from the heat and let stand, covered, in the hot water about 15 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon, drain well and package for freezing.

Hard-cooked whole eggs and whites become tough and watery when frozen, so don't freeze them.​

I can't keep up this time of year. All my customers are busy baking and cooking for the holidays. We barely have enough to eat for ourselves. It will be even more demanding as we approach Christmas. It's too bad the hens start to slow down as my customers use is increasing.

I sell to family and friends at church right now. I could sell more with out a problem. We are going to up the price of eggs to everyone else. I sell for $1.50 if they give me egg cartons. $2.00 if they don't. So maybe $2.50-3. Im thinking about painting the cartons and putting our website, farm name and Bible verse on them. We keep roosters with the flock so if you get a chick in a egg you get a dozen free. Never had it happen but it could. Going to really play up the benefits of our eggs vs store eggs on the website. Have videos of the girls and pictures contests tons of fun educational stuff. We raise them as naturally as possible. Meaning they have my whole yard to run in and fresh treats and no lights in the winter. They need a break too. So that will be explained on the website. And I will have pics of how factory birds live. I've thought about supplying to a cafe or small store but not sure on the laws of it. Im kinda scared to get sued. Does anyone have insurance or advice on that?

Back
Top Bottom