Egg washing

Emilyann234

Chirping
Dec 31, 2017
Florida
Good morning everybody!

I'm new to ducks and mine just started laying. I read something about not washing the eggs in cold water. What is the best way to clean the eggs before storage? I have already collected 5 eggs from my 2 girls, and I rinsed them off with cold water before i read not to. Should I toss those?

Thank you guys in advance for any help!!

Good morning everybody!

I'm new to ducks and mine just started laying. I read something about not washing the eggs in cold water. What is the best way to clean the eggs before storage? I have already collected 5 eggs from my 2 girls, and I rinsed them off with cold water before i read not to. Should I toss those?

Thank you guys in advance for any help!!
I leave mine out on the counter and rinse them under warmish water to get rid of the bloom right before I eat them. Duck eggs and chicken eggs are the same. If they have poop on them (mine never do because I keep everything very clean in their coop and run), rinse them off right away and put in the fridge. :):jumpy

The USDA recommends washing eggs with water at least 20 degrees Fahrenheit warmer than the eggs temperature.
I let my eggs level out to room temperature before washing. Then I wash with very warm water with a brush and let air dry, 20180811_203701.jpg ,before checking and placing in Cartons, 20180806_084551.jpg ,then into the fridge. I date the Carton when full. GC

Thank you everybody for all you help! Everybody here is so welcoming.

I read that washing them with cold water can push the bacteria into the eggs. Is there any truth to that?

Back
Top Bottom