Egg Yolk Peritonitis -- 20 month old Rhode Island Red.

I am not sure, however, I think you also need to treat the worms that causes the blackhead for 5 days straight as well, then the follow up 10th day. Let me see what I can find.

I treated Blackhead with 5 days on metrodinazole and then went to a 1/2 cc of valbazen and 10 days later another 1/2 cc of valbazen.

I'll see if this one egg leads to others and if not...I think I'll treat for coccidia.  It's such a tough call, though, when the days are barely long enough to get eggs, and there's no symptoms other than no eggs.  But I hear what your saying pwand...that the blood doesn't have to be seen yet.  I'll keep it in my thoughts for sure.

When I bring Rose up for some aspirin I will check her out again.  Poor girl.
You know the good news is if no eggs are being produced by the girls, Rosie would not be internally laying.

I am not sure, however, I think you also need to treat the worms that causes the blackhead for 5 days straight as well, then the follow up 10th day. Let me see what I can find.
According to my vet, the Safeguard dose for cecal worms is one dose at 50mg/kg (.5ml per 2.2 pounds) and the most effective Valbazen dose is 20mg/kg (.2ml per 2.2 pounds). Repeat either in 10 days.

Albazen (Valbazen study): http://japr.oxfordjournals.org/content/16/3/392.short

-Kathy

Last edited:
According to my vet, the Safeguard dose for cecal worms is one dose at 50mg/kg (.5ml per 2.2 pounds) and the most effective Valbazen dose is 20mg/kg (.2ml per 2.2 pounds). Repeat either in 10 days.

Albazen (Valbazen study): http://japr.oxfordjournals.org/content/16/3/392.short

-Kathy
I was getting confused with the capillary worms that need the 5 days treatment. I was think that causes the blackhead, doing more reading and its the cecal worms. Getting my worms mixed up. :) Thanks for catching that.

Thank you Ten Chicks. Rose isn't tilted yet as much as that bird picture in that article. But we know her days are numbered. I'll watch for when her life has degraded to a point where I'm not comfortable doing what I'm doing any more. I don't believe in her suffering. So far she makes her way and does some pretty normal chicken things. Just a wee bit different then the others for me to know something is wrong...but I feel her quality of life yet is good. I've culled before. This one will be more difficult emotionally. But I will do it for her when she needs it.

I am going to be checking into the cost of implant or cost of spaying in the event that i might be faced with this issue at some point.

It is so devastating when our chickens become ill and no vets to help,we are left in the dark and trying to do whatever we can for them, It is just so unfortunate that hens are susceptible to peritonitis/egg binding and ovarian cancer.

Last edited:

Today we had an unexpected loss. My daughter found Iris in a next box passed away. Iris is our red Easter Egger. She is one of our adopted girls who laid beautiful baby blue eggs. I saw her briefly this morning and she stayed on the roost puffed up as the others ran out to eat in the run. I checked her over for masses in her belly, checked her vent, and after I did that she crawled into a nest box and did not come out after. This is all very sudden and I know it is off topic of Rose's peritonitis...but this is my latest thread (sometimes more like my chicken diary) and I've been covering the overall health of my flock and egg laying issues with the works....

I'm thinking this quick death is coccidia I saw coagulated blood strings at her vent....so I am fairly certain. And I don't know ...with the overall lack of eggs, and now this. My daughter that found her was upset. We had company at the time. Couple of my friends and their daughters were here for Sunday coffee chit chat.

I've thrown Sulmet in their water this evening and will treat them all for 6 days. I'll go to a bigger town maybe later this week and get Corid just in case the Sulmet does not work and need a follow up and I see somebody else with bloody poop or all puffed up on the roost. We were gone all day yesterday....and I just wonder if we could have done something....maybe not.

Rosey up and down the roost...cruising around eating bossing lower hens. Tough little Red... Somebody is waiting in heaven for her now.

The egg is not Sunny's I've determined. It had some grayish fluff stuck to the bloom and I've determined that it's probably my Wyandotte's egg. Her comb is fully red and the roo mated her in front of me the other day. Her eggs, have in general, changed shape and have a new colored bloom to it...so that's why I thought it was somebody else's. It had Sunny's shape and bloom color. So now I wonder about Sunny's abodomen again and wonder about what I'm feeling that is similar to Rose's. Those two girls are on my peritonitis list... Again Sunny is not symptomatic, though, like Rose, which gives me some hope.

The Kids, after Iris' discovery, asked if we could let our Australorp stay broody one time this summer and let her do what she wants to do and have chicks. I told them we could sure try.
As much drama and tragedy we've been having lately, they are finding their way through life with chickens and learning and taking in so much. It's really about this bigger picture. I must admit. Some things are hard. But most things are beautiful and wildly entertaining with our flock. There is so much for my kids to take away. The birds are so beautiful and so sweet and so interesting. We regret nothing, of course.

Back
Top Bottom