Eggs set with small end up

mcdougal7

Hatching
Jan 11, 2017
I set my eggs with small ends up in the incubator. I realized the mistake and turned the eggs small end down on day 5. Would this keep the embryos from developing? Do they still have a chance of hatching?

You caught it early and that's good, and they will likely still hatch. Just be on the lookout for malpositioned chicks at hatch as that is the most common result of incubating them with the wrong end up.

Maybe you can help first what is ideal humidity for first 18 days of incubating also my eggs have very tough membrane I have helped some chicks hatch and I have hard time tearing membrane so I it is tough what causes this

Last edited:
This is what I was told......Between 45 and 55% for setting eggs...55 to 65% for hatching eggs...After lock down up the humidity.....

I was told to store in egg cartons in a cool room. just keep tipping the carton daily, with one end up the other down...A book works great....Can hold up too two weeks....Have heard even longer, although I have not tried it...My first time incubating eggs....

Cheers!

Maybe you can help first what is ideal humidity for first 18 days of incubating also my eggs have very tough membrane I have helped some chicks hatch and I have hard time tearing membrane so I it is tough what causes this

I have one more question what is the ideal temperature to hold eggs for incubator how many days can they be held

The best humidity is going to vary by region. For example, in my climate about 30% works best for the first 18 days. Anything more and the chicks would drown and not hatch. Just keep an eye on your air cells or if you want to be more precise weigh the eggs to make sure they are losing the correct amount of moisture and adjust humidity accordingly.

For storing eggs for incubation, the ideal temperature is 60 degrees. You can store them for up to ten days before fertility will start to drop. You can store them in an extra egg turner if you have one or keep them in a carton small end up and you can turn them if you'd like, although I don't when I store eggs and mine still do fine. Supposedly they will last longer if you turn them but I haven't had to do so. Can't hurt though if you want to try to get them to last even longer.

Back
Top Bottom