Eggshells as calcium additive

I use both, mainly to stretch out my dollar as oyster shell isn't cheap (I buy 100% flaked shells, not the "pelleted" kind) and because some of my birds are less enthusiastic about oyster shell.

Eggshells taken strictly from your flock don't provide enough extra calcium in that there's no way to extract 100% of the calcium that went into them out of them. If you feed strictly layer feed just eggshell may be enough to meet your layers' needs due to the additional 4% calcium in the feed, but if you feed grower or all flock, you will probably need some oyster shell or other form of calcium as well to meet their needs.
Absolutely right.
I give mine eggshells, oyster shell and Cuttlefish bone.

I save and bake my egg shells and crush them up to put in their feed but not instead of supplying oyster shells. I have never known my chickens to supplement with the oyster. Every now and then when the container ( a small galvanized poultry drinker) gets too much rain water in it I dump it in the run, clean it and fill it back up. I'm not really saving money, just doing busy work while I wait for a pot to boil mostly.

Thanks to all who replied. I'm now mixing in my crushed shell with the feed. But also will provide oyster shell "on the side" going forward.

Back
Top Bottom