Elector PSP premise spray--not for lice?

Is there any reason one should NOT use the diluted formula as a dip rather than a spray? I only have 3 chickens and it would be quite simple to dip them rather than have to spray, spray, spray!

Is there any reason one should NOT use the diluted formula as a dip rather than a spray? I only have 3 chickens and it would be quite simple to dip them rather than have to spray, spray, spray!
I don't like the idea of getting a bird that wet.

The reason I am asking about dipping is, I will have to do it myself. Because of arthritis in my hands, that amount of spraying is extremely difficult for me. Whereas if I dip my chickens, I can then towel them until damp, then blow dry them. They can even stay in my mudroom, with a heater, until they are dry to the skin. I just didn't know if it would cause an overdose or something like that.

I am trying to visualize holding the chicken upside down while spraying with the sprayer. . .LOL!:eek:
There's a quart or so size pump sprayer that can be used one handed...hold em under one arm and spray their butts......I have also sprayed after dark while they are on the roosts.
Works good if they are facing the right way.

Will just spraying the rear of the chicken get rid of the lice/mites? I thought you had to do the whole chicken - which is a pain. Somehow, chicken math struck us hard and we have over 100 chickens and guineas. I have to figure out how to treat for mites and lice before this outbreak gets too far out of hand!

Hi, all. Sorry this is long: I have had a horrendous mite problem going on for over a month. The henhouse is crawling with millions of them, so bad that they are crawling on ME when I collect eggs. I check the hens, and there aren't very many on them, although some of the 29 are acting sluggish and not looking very well.
Then our one Silkie rooster, Archie, started getting crusted shut eyes in the morning and the last 2 days, has what turns out to be a respiratory infection. I've been cleaning Archie's eyes each morning and put Terramycin ointment around them.
Contacted a vet from UC Davis. Told him I've tried poultry dusts (diatomaceous earth, permethrin, etc) not just on the hens, but throughout the henhouse and shavings, which are changed weekly. And have used poultry sprays on the chickens. I've even been feeding them minced garlic this week, which they love, because I've heard it helps keep the mites off of them.
It's been so bad that I even cleaned out all the shavings and put a Bug Bomb in there only to find them still crawling everywhere!
So yesterday, I cleaned it out again, sprayed to soaking the entire inside of the henhouse and laying boxes with an enzyme spray (mixed Kleen Green and PoultryZyme, both from Natural Ginesis). I let it dry and put in new fresh shavings. And at roost time, I was able to use my little "squeeze puffer" and put DT under the birds' wings and on their behinds. This morning there were still a lot of mites and I thought it wasn't working.
So panic set in again, thinking I may have to just give up and sell off my beloved flock, since the mites were even following me into the house and I've been getting bites.
Then I remembered having to fight off an infestation of spider mites on plants years ago, and recalled I'd experimented for months before coming up with a mixture that worked wonders. So I called around and found the two products that I had used back then: Monterey Garden Insect Spray concentrate (.5% spinosad) and SaferGro PestOut (with cottonseed, clove, and garlic oils). I mixed up gallon batches with the recommended amount of each and it worked wonders back then.
So this time, I'm thinking "mites are mites, right?" I brought home my products, mixed up a small batch and headed to the henhouse. Lo and behold, the enzyme spray had started to do its job by then. I had to remember that the enzymes are not an insecticide; they attack the bugs' exoskeleton and system and cause a slower death. Most of the bugs were dead now.
But because the infestation had been so bad, still went ahead and sprayed around the door and onto the top of all the shavings and the roosts.
Other than the bug bomb, none of the products I have used will harm the chickens.
I wanted to share this with you because I know how frustrating it can be when nothing seems to work.
Oh, yes, and back the vet that I contacted: He told me to add sulfur powder to my chickens' dusting areas, along with the DT and permethrin dust I'm already using. And he also told me to get the Elector PSP (44% spinosad). But for right now, I'm going to use the spinosad product that I tried before since it did do the job and is much cheaper. I'll wait on getting the Elector PSP until I see if my own mixture works.
And for the poor little rooster, because we can no longer get over-the-counter antibiotics to mix in their water, the only thing left to use is a product called Tylan, which he told me to get and to inject it into the rooster's breast every day for 5 days (although I've seen that some people administer it orally). Since our feed store said they don't have anything over-the-counter anymore, I'll be calling my local vet tomorrow to see if I can get the Tylan from her.
Let's hope little Archie gets better. I saw that some people suggest using VetRx for Poultry for respiratory infections, so I'll be getting some of that, too.
I will update this in the next couple of days to let you know what's happening with Archie and with the mite infestation.
Good luck to all of you and your flocks.

Last edited:
I use this product for mites and lice on the chickens and it works wonderfully.
After having just ordered some of the Elector PSP premise spray to treat a recently discovered lice outbreak, I'm finding that lice are not one of the parasites this product treats. It is apparently for treating mites within/on coops, barns, etc. since those critters move on and off the chickens; lice remain on the chickens when causing their havoc.

According to the product label, the Elector PSP can be sprayed directly onto the chickens, but, again, looks like it is directed at mites, not lice.

I'll definitely use the PSP on my coop interiors, and might attempt to use it on my hens, but looks like Sevin or other poultry dust needs to be my "go to" for nuking the lice. As far as I can tell, I (thankfully) do not have mites right now.

Anyone with experience using Elector PSP care to comment on the lice vs mite effects? Thanks.[/QUOT
After having just ordered some of the Elector PSP premise spray to treat a recently discovered lice outbreak, I'm finding that lice are not one of the parasites this product treats. It is apparently for treating mites within/on coops, barns, etc. since those critters move on and off the chickens; lice remain on the chickens when causing their havoc.

According to the product label, the Elector PSP can be sprayed directly onto the chickens, but, again, looks like it is directed at mites, not lice.

I'll definitely use the PSP on my coop interiors, and might attempt to use it on my hens, but looks like Sevin or other poultry dust needs to be my "go to" for nuking the lice. As far as I can tell, I (thankfully) do not have mites right now.

Anyone with experience using Elector PSP care to comment on the lice vs mite effects? Thanks.
se this for mites and lice

That is the kind of garden sprayer that I use. I would highly recommend these if you have arthritis. It's much easier than a spray bottle (where you have to keep squeezing the handle). I have some arthritis, too, and you do have to pump up the pressure in these garden sprayers, but it is MUCH, MUCH less problem on your hands because you pump it up, and then spray for quite a long time before the pressure runs out.
NOTE: Once you are done spraying, you really need to remember to run just plain water through the sprayer unit to clean it. I was lazy once (won't do that again), and what happened was that the products I used dried up in the spray wand and clogged it up. It was very hard to get it cleaned out.

Back
Top Bottom