electric poultry fencing......tell me about yours

WthrLady

Enabler
9 Years
Jul 24, 2014
WestOak, Nebraska
Ok, so the guy in the next acreage can't control hos dogs. One is an ancient golden retriever, the other a giant 9 moth old great Dane. Both have been over here on their own several times. Nice dogs, nice people who always apologize when we return the dogs from our property. They have no fence, no electric dog fence, and don't keep them chained. They just go wherever. Makes me angry that they don't give enough to keep their dogs safe.

Today, while I was out shopping my son called to tell me that the motion sensor on the security camera was tripped and when he checked, both dogs were out there running around the coop. The Dane tore the heck out of the plastic wind break window on one side of the run. I repaired it with a lot of tape when I got home, but that isn't the point.

Son said owner said she was sorry, but seemed annoyed to be bothered at 1030 in the morning. Well hell, I'm annoyed and the time and big $$$$$ I'm having to spend on my birds to keep them safe on MY property, .25 miles from her property, because she refuses to keep her dogs contained. I do not want to start a war, so I an electric poultry fence is next.

Tell me about yours. I want solar powered. I'd like at least 100 ft. And I'd like to be able to move it for when we build the larger coop in the spring.

So what brand do you have?
Is it sappy enough to stop dogs?

We have the poultry netting from Premier 1. It's pretty easy to move and can be solar powered. It should be fine to stop a dog as long as it's on and charged. My lab-mix managed to get her head stuck in one of the squares and tore the fence, BUT it was my fault for not having it on.
roll.png

Other people's dogs can be the worst. Sorry and I hope this helps!

Ok, so the guy in the next acreage can't control hos dogs. One is an ancient golden retriever, the other a giant 9 moth old great Dane. Both have been over here on their own several times. Nice dogs, nice people who always apologize when we return the dogs from our property. They have no fence, no electric dog fence, and don't keep them chained. They just go wherever. Makes me angry that they don't give enough to keep their dogs safe.

Today, while I was out shopping my son called to tell me that the motion sensor on the security camera was tripped and when he checked, both dogs were out there running around the coop. The Dane tore the heck out of the plastic wind break window on one side of the run. I repaired it with a lot of tape when I got home, but that isn't the point.

Son said owner said she was sorry, but seemed annoyed to be bothered at 1030 in the morning. Well hell, I'm annoyed and the time and big $$$$$ I'm having to spend on my birds to keep them safe on MY property, .25 miles from her property, because she refuses to keep her dogs contained. I do not want to start a war, so I an electric poultry fence is next.

Tell me about yours. I want solar powered. I'd like at least 100 ft. And I'd like to be able to move it for when we build the larger coop in the spring.

So what brand do you have?
Is it sappy enough to stop dogs?
An electric fence like the ones used to keep cows confined will even keep the Hounds of Baskerville off your property. Just be sure to get a good charger with enough Joules to stop a T-Rex. If you live in an arid region, sink your grounding rod deep, heck sink it deep (8-12 feet) anyway.

I got mine from the Farmers' CO-OP and when I bought it they said that it would energize a 25 or maybe it was a 50 mile fence. If a dog ever sticks his nose to an electric fence like this you can take the fence down and the dog still won't cross where the fence use-to-was.

I don't know where the middle of no-where is, but snow will short out an electric fence and make it useless until the thaw. 5 or 6 wires totaling about 3 vertical feet is plenty enough to stop most chicken eating varmints. You also must keep the grass off the wires. A little Roundup is good for this.

The bad news is that the neighbor's dogs now know how much fun it is to chase chickens. Catching one is the dogs next step.

In your case fence likely still needed but I would catch dogs and have animal control / law enforcement pick them up. It will be a low cost penalty to jog dog owner into new and hopefully better approach. I problem resumes then start charging them for damages as well. I do not like shooting dogs feel like crap after doing so go some effort to find a different out first.

You could also electrify just the coop.

I agree with Centrarchid, maybe try running hot wire around just the coop area for now. If these dogs come into contact with it they are not likely to try it again. I have a single strand of hot wire around the base of my runs and pasture, I've never had a dog touch it twice. They stick their nose on that wire, they leave the area at high speed making the most pleasing howling sounds. One of my own dogs firmly believes that the chicken coop/run hides a horrible, invisible monster and zaps his nose. He stays far away.

Tell me exactly what i need and how to set it up. Plz. I do have an electric outlet available for this current coop.

Photos of products would b helpful

Back
Top Bottom