Electrically challenged instructions for building a homemade incubator

Thank you everyone for your replies - this has helped a LOT. Now, for another question. I obtained an Omaha Steaks cooler for the actual incubator. It seems very nice and sturdy and the walls are THICK styrofoam (I got the idea from another BYC'er, put an ad on my Freecycle for a cooler and a nice woman emailed me right away to say she'd just received steaks that day and I was welcome to her cooler
smile.png
) Anyway, I know that many people talk about being able to "see" the pip and even take photos of chicks in the middle of hatching. So does that mean I should think about cutting a piece out of the lid and replacing it with a window? I'd kind of rather not, since it seems like it will hold temps better if I just leave it alone. On the other hand, if the time ever comes we have a hatch, I'm sure we'll want to watch so....what to do?

The temptation to open the incubator to watch is great, but the chicks are better off if you leave it closed. If you think you can put in a window, that's great. But, you need to remember that the humidity going to be high in the incubator at the time of hatching. It's possible if you put a single pane of glass in the incubator it will be all fogged up and useless.

Quote:
So, have you actually used this in an incubator?? I have made one and have that same thermostat hooked up. I am getting temp swings of up to 13 degrees!! That won't do. How is this thermostat working for you? Would you be willing to share?

HEChicken - I think that your plug will work fine if you can get it to stick out straight in the box or hang the way you want it to. The advantage to the lamp kit is that it provides a neck with a disc that holds it firmly sticking out perpendicularly to the bottom of the incubator. To install the thermostat, you will have to cut the cord (unplug it please) and then follow some directions as to how to hook it up. I isn't hard, it is just a matter of knowing what to attach where. Like I said, I had my brother do it.

I will say in reference to the above question that I had for Southernbelle, that I am not sure that using this thermostat is a wise idea. You may want to find a different way to manage the temp inside your incubator. I am just as frustrated as i can be. I have had temp fluxes between 91* and 106* and that is what this thermostat is allowing... What to do!???
idunno.gif

Yes and no. I noticed a wild swing in the air temp in the incubator, but I quit monitoring the air temp and instead I put a probe in a water wiggler to monitor the internal temp of my "egg" and noticed that that temp was rock solid at all times. I also used the "heat sink" idea and filled the bottom of my incubator with Tupperware containers of warm water to help keep the temp more stable. I did have many successful hatches using it. In this pic, you can see the Tupperware containers under the wire and can see my eggs hatching!
7479_100_6883.jpg

well just call me crazy but what about a electric blanket thermostat???? i've been sittin here trying to fig out what i hv and i hv that......just cut the end off...would it work????has anyone tried it???????

The blanket thermostat is a brilliant idea? Assuming it keeps the temp in a closer range than the w.h. thermostat.

I have a meat thermometer in wrapped up in a ziplock filled with water trying to mimic a water wiggler (what section of walmart do you find such a thing??) The temp on the meat thermometer isn't swinging near as much as the air temp. So you think this is okay? What kind of hatch rate did you normally get?

I found a hova bator on cl yesterday and emailed the seller. I am getting eggs on Friday and don't want to mess them up!

Also, I don't have a fan in the bator. Does this make a big difference? I was going to pic one up today along with the water weasel.

I have rocks in the bottom of my bator that serve the same purpose as the water in tupperware that you have. Any comments on that? Same thing?

I really appreciate this thread. I would like to make my bator work! Just don't want to risk the chickies
jumpy.gif

i hv this stuff i use in the garden....comes by different names,stock o sorb/hydra soil/... add water and it turns into a jell....what about put it in baggies to help keep the temp....would b soft and mushy,could even put the eggs rt on it if u hand turn .....my drill just quit on me so i'm hving probs here tday mkin bator...ugh i'm gonna try the elect blanket therm when i get back up and runnin.......

lil' fowl :

i hv this stuff i use in the garden....comes by different names,stock o sorb/hydra soil/... add water and it turns into a jell....what about put it in baggies to help keep the temp....would b soft and mushy,could even put the eggs rt on it if u hand turn .....my drill just quit on me so i'm hving probs here tday mkin bator...ugh i'm gonna try the elect blanket therm when i get back up and runnin.......

that water to jel stuff sounds like terra-sorb it is a pretty good thixogen​

Last edited:
Quote:
I've been watching this thread too, as I don't like messing with electricity that much....ok, not at all. Too many electrical safety videos while I worked in Radio in the USN....

Just wanted to answer your question about the water wigglers. You can find them in the toys section of WalMart....usually with the "cheap" toys....army men, ball n jax.....things that usually cost around a dollar or two.
Good Luck on your bator and hatch!

Well, we have 3 different thermometers, a thermostat and a fan in there and can't get the temp to stay put. Everyone uses the water heater thermostat, but it is allowing such drastic temp changes that even inside the water weasel (found one at the dollar store) is changing an awful lot. I am just frustrated. How is everyone making this work?

If I were you I would go online to Cutler supply or Double R supply and order a wafer thermostat. They are way easy to use.

Back
Top Bottom