Emergency, Egg Shell Stuck in Vent (Graphic Pictures)

There is zero sign of infection in that birds eyes.

Her crop is lumpy....it didn't clear last night?

She's having issues laying, prolapsed vent, soft shell eggs and blood.

Diahrea

Occasionally has foam in her eyes.

Missing feathers on her lower back.

Isn't eating much.

Lethargic

Occasionally has bouts of vigorous head shaking.

Anything else I'm missing as far as symptoms and unusual behaviors?

Does she have a red rash on her belly?
All symptoms yes, except rush. I ll check for it in a few minutes. Her crop felt soft and squishy, definitely not flat.

I highly recommend that you stop feeding all of this except for the 16% crumble.

Feeding all of these extras, especially the scratch, corn, oats and mealworms can cause her to have reproductive issues.
Oh, so just feed? I thought the more nutrients and sources they are fed , the better????

A balanced chicken feed is a complete diet for chickens. They don’t need anything but clean water. If you add other foods, you are messing with protein, vitamins and minerals ratios. Occasionally, many of us will offer a small amount of a treat. Take a picture if you see anymore bubbles in the eye, but maybe the Tylosin has helped that.

Oh, so just feed? I thought the more nutrients and sources they are fed , the better????
Just an update no
Well, she needs calcium for sure.

Do you treat preventatively for parasites? Wormer? Mites/lice?
She's getting her tablet daily now. I'm not sure if it counts but I spread diatomaceous earth in the coop and roosts once a month. A small update, before sleep her crop was like a soft little ball. She just sat down the whole day, not even roost.

A balanced chicken feed is a complete diet for chickens. They don’t need anything but clean water. If you add other foods, you are messing with protein, vitamins and minerals ratios. Occasionally, many of us will offer a small amount of a treat. Take a picture if you see anymore bubbles in the eye, but maybe the Tylosin has helped that.
I didn't know that, so no treats daily? What about oregano, thyme, basil snacks? They say they help with the immune system. Yes, seems like for a day plus no bubbles at all. Her crop was like a small soft ball before sleep, she sat on the floor the whole day.

Just an update no

She's getting her tablet daily now. I'm not sure if it counts but I spread diatomaceous earth in the coop and roosts once a month. A small update, before sleep her crop was like a soft little ball. She just sat down the whole day, not even roost.
Commercial feed is the bare basic nutrition needed to keep a hen alive and laying. They don't make Commercial feed for backyard chickens, they make it for Commercial growers. That's why it's grouped as 'Layer' and 'Meat bird' feeds.

Right now, her crop isn't functioning properly at all. Take everything away from her except cooked egg and yogurt. No treats at all. No feed. It ferments if stays in the crop too long.

You're probably looking at a heavy worm load. She needs to be wormed.

The bubbles in her eye could possibly be from fluid building up in her respiratory system.

You should worm atleast twice a year.

Commercial feed is the bare basic nutrition needed to keep a hen alive and laying. They don't make Commercial feed for backyard chickens, they make it for Commercial growers. That's why it's grouped as 'Layer' and 'Meat bird' feeds.

Right now, her crop isn't functioning properly at all. Take everything away from her except cooked egg and yogurt. No treats at all. No feed. It ferments if stays in the crop too long.

You're probably looking at a heavy worm load. She needs to be wormed.

The bubbles in her eye could possibly be from fluid building up in her respiratory system.

You should worm atleast twice a year.
I see, what kind of dewormer you recommend? Will she be able to survive with just egg and yogurt without feed though? I don't know what else I can do for her respiratory system :(

Chicken feed has all of what she needs. You are getting a lot of info from many people. Just because we recommend something, do a bit of research on your own, filter information and then make up your own mind. Be sure to check her crop in early morning before she eats or drinks and describe how it feels. It should be mostly empty and flat then. If it is empty, then feed her the usual feed and water her. If it is not empty, let us know. You may want to massage the crop and give water, mushy wet feed and yogurt. Let us know what you find.

I see, what kind of dewormer you recommend? Will she be able to survive with just egg and yogurt without feed though? I don't know what else I can do for her respiratory system :(
Egg has everything a chicken needs. After all...it makes chickens.

Yogurt has probiotics to keep her crop from going sour until it gets moving.

Your doing what you need to for her respiratory system. Antibiotics.

The most common and easiest dewormer to obtain is Fenbendazole (Safeguard). Since she's not on a dewormer protocol, it's probably your best bet. It will kill off the most common worms.

Back
Top Bottom