Emergency, Egg Shell Stuck in Vent (Graphic Pictures)

Not a shake of the head once in the second video, but it's quiet in the coop and the rooster crows and hen noises are not going on.

Observe her - take note if she shakes her head the most when it's noisy.

She looks fairly bright.

Otherwise, I'd keep with the Calcium for a full 5 days.

Finish the Tylan that you started. I don't see anything alarming about her eyes.

See that she's eating her normal feed and drinking well.

Look her over for lice/mites - you will need to look through her feathers for those.

And make sure her crop is emptying overnight. Feel the crop when she goes to roost (it should have food in it), then first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink (it should be empty/flat).

Hope that helps!

Chicken feed has all of what she needs. You are getting a lot of info from many people. Just because we recommend something, do a bit of research on your own, filter information and then make up your own mind. Be sure to check her crop in early morning before she eats or drinks and describe how it feels. It should be mostly empty and flat then. If it is empty, then feed her the usual feed and water her. If it is not empty, let us know. You may want to massage the crop and give water, mushy wet feed and yogurt. Let us know what you find.
So first thing in the morning I check her crop the best way to describe it is, the size of a golf and hard. Can't say lumpy because it felt like a solid round thing, like she actually swallowed a golf ball.

Not a shake of the head once in the second video, but it's quiet in the coop and the rooster crows and hen noises are not going on.

Observe her - take note if she shakes her head the most when it's noisy.

She looks fairly bright.

Otherwise, I'd keep with the Calcium for a full 5 days.

Finish the Tylan that you started. I don't see anything alarming about her eyes.

See that she's eating her normal feed and drinking well.

Look her over for lice/mites - you will need to look through her feathers for those.

And make sure her crop is emptying overnight. Feel the crop when she goes to roost (it should have food in it), then first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink (it should be empty/flat).

Hope that helps!
So first thing in the morning I check her crop the best way to describe it is, the size of a golf and hard. Can't say lumpy because it felt like a solid round thing, like she actually swallowed a golf ball. In the morning all the roosters scream and indeed she shakes her head....... that's weird. I think she seems more calm when is quiet????? From what I saw there's nothing moving on her skin under her feathers. You can see them move usually, right? After I checked her crop I gave her food and water and ate normally.

Egg has everything a chicken needs. After all...it makes chickens.

Yogurt has probiotics to keep her crop from going sour until it gets moving.

Your doing what you need to for her respiratory system. Antibiotics.

The most common and easiest dewormer to obtain is Fenbendazole (Safeguard). Since she's not on a dewormer protocol, it's probably your best bet. It will kill off the most common worms.
Is this the one you recommend? https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/merck-animal-health-safe-guard-equine-dewormer-paste-25-gm her crop in the morning wasn't flat or empty. Was like a golf ball and hard.

So first thing in the morning I check her crop the best way to describe it is, the size of a golf and hard. Can't say lumpy because it felt like a solid round thing, like she actually swallowed a golf ball.

In the morning all the roosters scream and indeed she shakes her head....... that's weird. I think she seems more calm when is quiet?????
Likely the roosters/commotion/noise is echoing in her ears, so she is just shaking her head to rid of the irritation. If she's calm and not shaking her head when it's quiet, then noise is the reason for the head shake.

Re-check her crop again first thing to see if it's emptied. If not and it's hard, give her some coconut oil twice a day and massage the crop - see if that helps break up what's in there.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Likely the roosters/commotion/noise is echoing in her ears, so she is just shaking her head to rid of the irritation. If she's calm and not shaking her head when it's quiet, then noise is the reason for the head shake.

Re-check her crop again first thing to see if it's emptied. If not and it's hard, give her some coconut oil twice a day and massage the crop - see if that helps break up what's in there.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
She still shakes actually, but I think is less compared to when she is close to the roosters. Weird all the other hens that are next to them aren't affected, How much should I give? Like a tsp twice? For her diet, she don't touch the boil egg. My chickens eat only non cooked eggs, the boiled not really. So you recommend coconut against olive oil?

Last edited:
Last edited:
Give her some olive oil, massage the crop. Try to break it up.

Not the form I use. I use the powder. But I see it being used here on the BYC forum, so it should work if her crop is moving.

Most post say to give her a 'pea sized' dose.
I see, I will check first thing again in the morning and also massage her and give the oil. So olive oil or coconut? A tsp is enough? And of course the dewormer. Do I deworm her 5 days?

Back
Top Bottom