Emu Hatch-a-long 2012

Thanks for that info, guys.

The female-male ratio simply must have something to do with ‘females fight for access to males’ and ‘for how long does a male normally parent a clutch?’

The ratio of males to females at breeding-pair-formation time is pivotally dependant on whether dad gives the chicks the kick at less-than-one-year or more-than-one-year.

S.E.

Ok she stood up today and I noticed her "knee" bent inward still so I made a "thigh master" for her out of pipe insulation tubes. They are foam and are already split on the side. I took a smaller piece and fit it in the middle. She don't like it, but I am hoping it will work. I will try everything I can think of before I put her down. Hopefully this works. So to summarize what I am doing for played leg is: Giving vitamin B complex daily, Feeding 50% rabbit pellets (50% alfalfa) and layer pellets, taped legs, attached my "thigh master" and have her in a box she can't roll over in with a half lid to keep her in the box. I also used bandage tape and taped the tendon back behind the knee where it belongs. Yesterday she could not stand up and kept falling over. After taping the legs she stood today. So far so good
thumbsup.gif

Here she is standing for the first time since Saturday:

picture of her taped legs notice the inward bend of the right leg:

And another showing the swelling from the dislocated tendon, the tendon is actually on the inside left which you can see in the picture.The scalely part on the back of the leg is where the tendon should be.:

Here she is standing fully upright today:

This is my "thigh master" which I put between the legs above the bent knee or on the feathery top part of the legs
wink.png
to keep it on I taped it completely around with bandage tape.

Last edited:
The thigh master did not work well LOL. As long as she is next to me she stays put but like this morning she was on her side kicking and kicking. Even gave herself a nose bleed from banging around in the container. I removed it but I will put it on her when I am home and I guess keep her with me. I am leaning toward the fact that she might have to be put down
hit.gif
I will try everything first before that happens. I was hoping the thigh master would help turn the leg back to it's normal position. It might as long as I am next to her but will have to be removed when I go to bed cause I put her back in the rubbermaid bin.

The thigh master did not work well LOL. As long as she is next to me she stays put but like this morning she was on her side kicking and kicking. Even gave herself a nose bleed from banging around in the container. I removed it but I will put it on her when I am home and I guess keep her with me. I am leaning toward the fact that she might have to be put down
hit.gif
I will try everything first before that happens. I was hoping the thigh master would help turn the leg back to it's normal position. It might as long as I am next to her but will have to be removed when I go to bed cause I put her back in the rubbermaid bin.
you almost need a hinged splint for the hock.... something that will allow her to bend it properly.. but will splint it inline so the hock stays put

what if I made is shorter in height? so it fits more closer to the hock and not going all the way up the actual knee. I will keep trimming until it fits confortably

Emus are not chickens or ducks. Please look at my avatar photo this is what the emus splay leg looks like .it's a lack of development in the thigh. Not an inflamed joint issue. It is most likely a genetic disorder or a parental nutrition issue. I have hatch many chicks and have seen it two times . It shows up after about one week of hatching. The leg turns outward and soon will not walk well. When an emu hatches it will take two or three days for them to gain control of their neck and legs. They don't just hop up and start eating. Three days to stand and wobbly walk five to run and crash into everything about a good week to run with a bit of control. So please don't diagnose your emus as chickens they are very different . You may cause more harm than good. If your emu has a serious degenerate disorder seek the advice of a vet.

Emus are not chickens or ducks. Please look at my avatar photo this is what the emus splay leg looks like .it's a lack of development in the thigh. Not an inflamed joint issue. It is most likely a genetic disorder or a parental nutrition issue. I have hatch many chicks and have seen it two times . It shows up after about one week of hatching. The leg turns outward and soon will not walk well. When an emu hatches it will take two or three days for them to gain control of their neck and legs. They don't just hop up and start eating. Three days to stand and wobbly walk five to run and crash into everything about a good week to run with a bit of control. So please don't diagnose your emus as chickens they are very different . You may cause more harm than good. If your emu has a serious degenerate disorder seek the advice of a vet.
This started while I was on vacation. When I got home on Saturday night she had splayed leg. She was fine on Tuesday night when I left and had the issue by Saturday. If it happens to chicks one week then why did it take my bird over 26 days to get it? I don't think mine was a genetic but a walking problem. The person taking care of my animals said he let her out on the bedroom floor. She kept falling down so he put her on the rug and she would go to the hardwood floor. I am thinking that is what caused the issue not genetics. I am not looking at my Emu as a duck or a chicken I am looking at it as a way to help cure the problem. The swelling is a little larger then it was yesterday but like I said she was kicking when I woke up this morning. I ask myself if I had stayed home would she be OK today - most likely she wouldn't have this problem.

Yeah there is a difference between chickens and emus.. which is why we have been tossing back and forth methods and ideas for treatments.. this isn't really a case of splayed legs.. it's an issue of a damaged / weak hock. The main issue now is how to treat without allowing the emu chick to aggravate it more .. yet still get exercise and proper nutrition for optimal healing.. if that is even possible.

Quote:
I think you're right Yoda.. that slippery floor was the main issue in my opinion.. one of the major problems for emu chicks are leg issues caused by lack of exercise plus lack of traction.. since this is an injury it would be great if you could come up with a brace that would allow freedom of movement yet still protect the joint from twisting..

and if all else fails at least you will know you did everything you could to try to help her heal.

She or he may have a sprain in it's knee. Did you look at my photo? Did you take it to a vet yet? I have hatched over 50 chicks I am not an expert nor claim to be. But I have seen splay in emu twice for real in person . Your pics don't show that. Thank god for that. The remedy for splay in emu is only one. And I did it twice! Please believe me I am not trying to attack anyone but every year every season this comes up. I wish we could put a stick on this forum for the normal development stages for emu. They are so different than any other species . So a call out to the educated rattie breeder lets try to put something together. With all the good and bad we can fit into it.

Back
Top Bottom