Emu Hatch-a-long 2012

I think I'm going to go with 96-97...with the top shelf the higher one. I had good results with that last year, did you change your this time around? I had to order another gram scale so I won't get to weigh them the first couple days.

I think I'm going to go with 96-97...with the top shelf the higher one. I had good results with that last year, did you change your this time around? I had to order another gram scale so I won't get to weigh them the first couple days.

yeah.. I went with 95.5 (link in my signature for this year's hatch)

The chicks seemed to be a bit sturdier (for lack of a better term)

Raptor had also mentioned something interesting about the hip joint development: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/729494/emu-hatch-a-long-2012/460#post_10775723
since we normally incubate at a higher temp than the male emu does.. it makes me wonder if those few extra days really do make a major difference

I've been a bit busy so I haven't had time to update...turns out all 4 of my eggs were duds :( I know it's late in the season, but does anyone know where I might could purchase a few more to try?
Believe it or not, our local pet store actually had 2 emu chicks for sale today...they have lost their minds though - $299 each!!!
ep.gif
. The owner tried to sell them to me & I told him I could buy the eggs a whole lot cheaper which then got us on the discussion of hatching eggs...when he found out I have 10 fertile Sebastopol eggs in my other 'bator he immediately started trying to talk me into selling him some goslings. That is so not going to happen...

$299? That is a bit crazy...sorry your 4 were duds, they still have some on eBay from California & Utah I believe. The lady I got mine from lives in OH & I don't think she plans on shipping anymore, she said she sold a bunch on eBay this season & her username is trouble(plus some #s).
I think I'm going to try incubating at a lower temp this go around, I had one chick hatch to early last year & had a lot of problems, he ended up dying a couple weeks later. My scale is out for delivery according to tracking so ill post some weights later...

Here are their weights, I put them in last night but just got my scale so I'll count these as their starting weights...

A-623.2
B-629.8
C-572.7
D-586.5
E-579.3
F-626.0

A few are pretty dirty, should I try up get some off? I don't think I'm supposed to actually clean them but will it that much dirt hurt?
try dry brushing them and see if it helps..

if they are STILL too dirty.. try wiping with a damp cloth

did you ever order Oxine? (I can't remember if you did or not).. if you did, use that for cleaning them. I use it on all the dirty chicken, duck and goose eggs that are really nasty.. it helps a lot

Msheets - What type of scale did you buy - I like that it reads in .1 grams - the one I use only reads in whole grams
even whole grams is close enough.. what you want to avoid is one that only reads in ounces...

so you're good!

I always use a postal scale.. I have had some that read down to a 10th of a gram.. and others that would round it off to the whole gram.. both worked well for me..

Yea the .1 isn't that important as long as its accurate. I use an AWS-1KG Digital Scale, it's only $7.99 plus shipping on amazon so it's a good cheap one. I've bought 2 just the same (lost the 1st one) & both say 5g when I put a nickel on it.

Back
Top Bottom